Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slight nut buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Minger, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Alrite, Jus twondering what I should do about this...only at the E string, and after I switched over to Hi Beams from whatever was stock on the SX.

And if worst came to worst, any of you guys know if the fender replacements are the same? (like they would fit or not?)

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Most of the buzz went away. Suggestions?

That and I'm getting a bit of a hum from the open note, which to my ears sounds like almost an A like an octave or two up.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Aw crap, you have to be kidding me - I reread your post and not enough wraps...and I cut it a bit (er, like 2 inches shorter, may6be more) yesterday just so I wouldnt have so much trouble winding it...

Bah, theres something for future reference.

My bad, not a problem with my bass...a problem with me!

Wow I feel stupid now...

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Nut buzz? That sounds like a problem you need to talk to your doctor about... :D :p

Sorry, I had to do it.

You may want to check overall action on it as well. Does it buzz anywhere else? If not, it may be that the nut slot may be a bit too low as well, but more likely the angle of the string over the nut. The previous owner of my Jazz bass put on an extra string tree to remove some buzz and nasty overtones on the A string. It worked quite well, but with the E, you have to put more wraps on the tuning post, like Joshua said. There's no room for a string tree there.

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Actually, its really fine now - nothing big because first off, it was my stupidity (there was no buzz before I cut it with the same strings, its just that when I kept loosening/tightening the stringsso they popped out and I didnt feel like doing all the winds again...stupid me)

The strings arent that new, had em on my Ibanez before in which I didnt relaly like the sound so i swapped them.

the neck seems fine (i'm not good at checking relief but the action is still good, so I'm leavin the truss rod alone for now).

So its all down to me wondering if leaving it like this is fine and won't do any damage to the nut, even though I doubt it will.

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Alrite, so because of my stupidity, I'm gonna have to get a new set of strings (I want to anyways)

Now what sounds good on a Jazz...I think it came wiht nickels, which I kinda liked the sound of because Stainless Steel is too bright for me. Anybody got any suggestions? I liked the (mellower was it?) tone of the nickels, and maybe gonna try something cheaper...maybe GHS boomers or something?

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Alrite, thanks. I think I'm done with this thread for now...and I was lookin at those strings cuz they are like $25 for a set of 2 on MF...