Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slight problem w/my Carvin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cole, Dec 26, 2000.

1. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    it sounds good, it looks good--I just can't play it. it sits on my knee at the wrong angle, and bends my fretting hand out of shape. my hand starts to hurt after just a couple minutes of playing. the only way I can play it is standing up, but I don't really like to play standing up.

what should I do? deal with it, sell it, trade it, any other options? I wish I'd figured this out earlier (I thought it was just setup bad, but once I got the Fernandes bass, I realized my problem)...

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Your "politics" is fine (but I guess we can't get into that in this forum!); but have you tried some different strap heights? Maybe you just need to suspend the bass a little higher while you're sitting (so that its position is determined more by the strap than your leg). Is your fretting wrist curled around too much? That means to me that the neck is too low and you need to prop it up.
    - Mike

3. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    I don't think adjusting the strap will do much, because I've got my strap as short as it'll go, and it doesn't help any. I think the problem is that the body is too small, and it sits too far to the left, making my wrist stretch to the side.