1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slightly focused newbie question

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by lamarjones, May 4, 2006.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I am going to take a plunge, been doing the electric upright thing for a bit and quite honestly not jamming at the festivals with other acoustic guys is not quite doing it for me. I just want a good sound and solid bass, as for setup I imagine that I can get one done here, but that said........

I've narrowed some choices, and wondering what you guys think.

At bassesonline.

The fully carved Roma
    http://www.bassesonline.com/roma.html

The hybrid Eberle
    http://www.bassesonline.com/eberlebass.html

and the fully carved eberle with a knot (don't care about appearance, but you think sound would be affected a lot?)
    http://www.bassesonline.com/eberlecarvedknot.html

at Upton

http://www.uptonbass.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21
    the shen 80-90- or 100 or the UB laminate or hybrid. Yes I know the UB hybrid is priced a good bit above all others, but if you guys think it is worth that much more than the other guys, I could do with that. Selling a NS CR5m so pretty much all of these would be doable, the UB hybrid I would just kick up a little more. The ONLY bass out of all of these I have tried was the Shen 100, and it actually felt nice to me.

Granted, I don't have much of a gauging stick on this stuff.

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    What's your budget? (So we can talk you into spending a little more)

3. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah, actually if you guys got any other recommendations (I am in Raleigh, NC), let me know.

I can go as high as the UB hybrid, 2500, if it is really something worthwhile. Other than that, I prefer to remain in the 1-2 k range.

4. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Kind of the idea I am on currently as well, thanks for the note!

5. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    Hi Lamar,

You need to be shopping at the Bob Beerman's Bass Violin Shop in Greensboro. Bob has an excellent selection of basses for all budgets and provides all manner of luthier services. He has numerous choices in your price range, including the Shen line. You should always play before you buy, and we are very fortunate to have a shop dedicated to the bass in our region. His website is www.bassviolinshop.com.

This is certainly no slam on Upton, who offers excellent service and has many satisfied customers here.

6. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    That is where I got to try a Shen 100. It would actually be pricier than ordering the UB laminate model, due to tax. Weird eh? But that said, I did have a good experience in there, and not really ruling that out. Some of the other basses around that price point I did not like as much as the 100, so that guy is looking good on my list. Thanks!

7. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Man, I totally hate being a newbie, but I also live by the phrase 'know your role'. Thanks Steve Austin.....

point being...... I kinda had it narrowed down to pretty much two choices, one being the local and then one being a online choice. Saw this this morning, and freaking love it. You guys have good things to say about Norton as well. I realize it may be hype, but frankly charcoal finishes do crazy things for me, and the standard finish never really did anything for me. Talked with Brent, and it sounds like it might be a killer bass to hang on to (will match a charcoal F bass bn5 I should be receiving soon).

So, any reasons why I would not want to go this route?

http://www.nortoncustoms.com/mini_galleries/norifumi.htm

It would be nice to try it out before hand, but pretty much any the nicely setup basses with ample volume that I have tried would have done it for me.

8. <<<<So, any reasons why I would not want to go this route?>>>
    None, other than risking the ridicule of the bluegrass traditionalists. Purely an asthetic consideration, not one of tone or function.
    I think its cool. I say go for it if you like it.

9. philly

philly

Nov 20, 2004
    nyc
    Get a bass that plays easily, and sounds good first.
    A cool paint job should be way down your list. IMHO of course.
    No offense meant to Brent Norton at all. His customers have legitimate, specific show-biz requirements and intentions for those basses.

As a beginner with $2850 burning a hole in your pocket, you should be able to do better than that bass.
    I might be wrong, but I think that's a shen or christopher plywood, which sell 1500-1800. Thats $1000 bucks for a paint job and a few customs acoutrements.

I don't know man....try not to be mesmerized by stuff that isn't so important. Besides, I would think that paint job would make it harder to sell down the road rather than easier. Jazz and classical guys, and probably most bluegrass and country types wouldn't and couldn't have it.

10. Philly,
    Good points on the extra xost of the paint job.
    I agree, for 2850, you can prob do much better tonewise.

I just got one of those 750 + 200 shipping Roma plys.
    Needs some minor set up work, mostly a little lowering of the string ht at the nut, but its playable and sounds fine.

11. philly

philly

Nov 20, 2004
    nyc
    I got a wilfer hybrid from steve loeb (Ideal music) for around 2500 plus as you say a little extra setup (aprox $200), and despite some concern by our esteemed experts about the neck joints on the wilfers, this bass is sweet compared to my upton plywood (which wasn't bad at all). I'm figuring that custom job is in the ballpark quality wise with the Upton which goes for around $1800..with free shipping! My point is---Take your time, educate yourself, and weigh your options.

12. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    If newbie, with just 1-2 K budget range, I'd be still saving for a better bass purchase and the Teacher/Lessons payment.

13. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    The best advice I could ever give you on this is to go see Bob Beerman at The Bass Violin Shop in Greensboro. www.bassviolinshop.com

Bob is just the man, a terrific guy and he will get you into an instrument that will sound and play right. He has stuff at every price point. He is a terrific luthier (I drive down from WV to take my bass to him) and a standup guy. I love the man.

W