Slightly OT: Does anyone know how to add a tweeter adjust to a cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ToneMonkey, Sep 30, 2003.

1. ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    I have a real love/hate thing going piezos.

My Genz 112T cab doesn't have a tweeter level adjustment but it does have an extra 1/4" jack I'll never use. It would be great if I could remove one of the 1/4" input jacks and put an adjustment pot in its place. Anyone ever done that? Presumably one needs a pot that can drop some appreciable wattage. Heck, maybe I should just sell the cab. It's pretty strident sounding.
  2. Lue

Sep 30, 2003
    Ya you can, just add a crossover, single pole, a 2.2UF/80v in series with a 4-30 Ohm 10 watt resistor depending on the loudness you want from your tweeter. Connect that to the + of the tweeter and the - connect to your woofer -.
  3. Sounds like what you're asking for is a thing called an "L-pad"

It's a potentiometer, but it attenuates the tweeter without changing the impedance that the crossover sees. After all, if the tweeter is 8 ohms, it needs to stay 8 ohms, just attenuated.

Fixed attenuation circuits add a resistor in series plus one in parallel to keep impedance proper. But a fixed circuit depends on you knowing exactly how much attenuation you want--3 dB? 6 dB?? and then you figure it from there.

But if you don't know how much attenuation you'll need, or if you may have to vary it, you buy an "L-pad" for a few bucks. You don't need a massive one, since tweeters ordinarily don't see much power. Check Parts Express for different prices, depending on how much power the tweeter will handle.