Slightly OT: Does anyone know how to add a tweeter adjust to a cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ToneMonkey, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. ToneMonkey


    Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    I have a real love/hate thing going piezos.

    My Genz 112T cab doesn't have a tweeter level adjustment but it does have an extra 1/4" jack I'll never use. It would be great if I could remove one of the 1/4" input jacks and put an adjustment pot in its place. Anyone ever done that? Presumably one needs a pot that can drop some appreciable wattage. Heck, maybe I should just sell the cab. It's pretty strident sounding.
  2. Lue


    Sep 30, 2003
    Ya you can, just add a crossover, single pole, a 2.2UF/80v in series with a 4-30 Ohm 10 watt resistor depending on the loudness you want from your tweeter. Connect that to the + of the tweeter and the - connect to your woofer -.
  3. Sounds like what you're asking for is a thing called an "L-pad"

    It's a potentiometer, but it attenuates the tweeter without changing the impedance that the crossover sees. After all, if the tweeter is 8 ohms, it needs to stay 8 ohms, just attenuated.

    Fixed attenuation circuits add a resistor in series plus one in parallel to keep impedance proper. But a fixed circuit depends on you knowing exactly how much attenuation you want--3 dB? 6 dB?? and then you figure it from there.

    But if you don't know how much attenuation you'll need, or if you may have to vary it, you buy an "L-pad" for a few bucks. You don't need a massive one, since tweeters ordinarily don't see much power. Check Parts Express for different prices, depending on how much power the tweeter will handle.
  4. Primary

    Primary TB Assistant

    Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

    May 25, 2022

Share This Page