Slightly OT - very small powered monitors

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Steve Freides, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    I need to place a powered monitor speaker inside the base of a podium - it will handle mostly keyboard. Appreciate recommendations. Powered a must, will take a feed directly from a keyboard. Could be up to 24" long but needs to otherwise be low profile.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

2. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    A QSC K8 or K10 are the first things that come to mind. Great bang for the buck.

Ric Vice and Steve Freides like this.
  3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I used the K8 for a very long time, since they built the K8.2's the older models are lower in price and perfectly good. Two of the finest players here in St. Louis, use them for

with their Nord Piano's . The K10's are ideal, but they cost more, are a bit heavier and larger. As far as I can tell, the power sections are the same.

4. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'll add, that while I don't think it answers the original question in this thread, the best keyboard/piano sounds I have heard were from a player in upstate NY using three K10s, all in a line across the floor occupying the same physical space that an actual baby grand piano would. Outstanding sounds came from his Korg State Vintage keyboard. The coverage that the three speakers offered, each at a moderately low volume, was absolutely superior to anything I've heard out of a single speaker or Bose tower setup.

5. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    Anyone have experience with the Nady PM-200?

6. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    If you don't care about high fidelity (you just want to hear or be heard), I'd suggest finding a powered Galaxy Hot Spot. I used to use the unpowered Hot Spots, mounted on mic stands. You'll find them cheap, used.

Ric Vice likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021