1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slightly uneven fretboard on a new fretless

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Deacon_Blues, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Hi all,

First post in the luthier forum for me... Tried to search but I didn't really find anything that relevant for me (as a registered user only, the search function isn't the best either...) Anyway, I bought a fretless Squire vintage Mod jazz bass a week ago and I'm not completely satisfied with the smoothness of the fretboard. The fretboard is Ebonol with inlaid white Celluloid fretlines, and it feels like the problem is the fretlines are too high.

What can I do to correct this? I'm thinking of grinding it, but I have no clue about what kind of sand paper I should use, if that's even the right tool for doing it, that is... Any tips? I think it's a pretty easy job, I just want to do it right, I love everything else on this bass so I don't want to destroy it. I know a luthier, but I would like to do this myself to save some money.

2. DanielM

DanielM

Jan 6, 2007
    Holland
    look up the radius of the board, then buy a radius block of said radius from StewMac or LMII, stick some sand paper to it and off you go! if it's just smoothing to do, don't use too rough a grit, start maybe at 120 (or higher) and work up from there. and use quality 3M paper, not that cheap stuff as that may have an uneven surface leaving you with grooves and all sorts of nastyness you don't want.

3. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Thanks! I'll check out if I can find a radius block (9,5"). Might be a bit hard to find here... I guess it's too risky to try without one, though. If I use a 150 sand paper at first, what should I end with? 1000 or finer? I really have no clue especially as it isn't wood but plastic.... Anyway, if I can't find a block, I guess I'll just bring it to the luthier to get it fixed.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I'm in the same boat.
    My MIM Fretless Jazz came with an uneven fretboard, but I didn't know the difference back then. So I just learned to play uneven action!

I want to do this too, but I can't afford anything right now :D