1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slim Neck + MM Pickup + Five Strings: Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Apr 19, 2006.

1. To the Group -

I'm looking for a recommendations for a Fiver. I have grown very accustomed to the narrow spacing and slim neck of my Ibanez SR505.

I would like to get a bass with these characteristics along with an MM-style pickup and a 3-band preamp. I'd prefer to stay in the mid-priced range ($500-$750) price range.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

2. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    a stingray 5 comes close to your description and if you are ok with used gear you should be able to afford one.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    SRX505. :D

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Save a few more bucks and get a used stingray 5. You will never regret it.

5. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    is the stingray neck really that slim? it always seems hard to play anything after an ibanez...which is one of the reasons i'm selling mine.

6. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    The SR5's neck is one of the easiest-playing 5-string necks out there. 17 mm string spacing and a shallow C-shape neck. I don't think it is as thin as an Ibanez, but thinner is not always necessarily easier to play. The SR5's neck profile is really inviting and comfy - and I have small hands.

I'm sure you can find one to try at a local music store - and there is also the import line of StingRays, the OLPs, which are around $300 - but buying a used SR5 is much more advisable.

They can be really heavy, though, usually more than 10 lbs., which is one of the reasons I sold mine.

7. Gents -

These are excellent suggestions!

As you've probably figured, the Stingray is the "benchmark" for this kind of sound and I know it's a wonderful axe but I really don't want to spend that kind of scratch. (The most recently sold SR5's on EBay went for $800 and up.)

The SRX is an intriguing suggestion and one that I hadn't considered. Every time I read about the SRX series, it is described as "perfect for hard rock" ... I'm not sure what that means but hard rock is not what I play.

I am looking for that classic, trebly, splanky MM sound. Any SRX players care to chime in here?

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Don't know if this is the sound youare looking for but here's three clips off my SRX505

http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/huntforpopcorn.mp3

http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/huntforwalk.mp3

http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/huntforgunn.wav

9. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    The Bass Company's M series are very inexpensive. I've not played one, but they have the single MM but only a two band pre, I think. I'd also look into an MTD Kingston and MTD Heir. All would be around your price range and probably would allow you to do a mod or two on the preamp side. A used Pedulla Rapture with the single Bart soapbar and the narrower string spacing may even be doable for not much more than you want to spend.

10. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    There's an AP-500 M Series bass by The Bass Company on eBay right now for $379. I think they only have two band preamps, but at that price you could modify it for sure. Take a look and ask about the neck profile.

11. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    By the way, you have to go to The Bass Company's eBay store to see that bass. It's the AP-500 single M series 5 string. I think a general search will only bring up the double M model. They're also having a promotion on a gig bag: buy a bass and get 10% off the bag. I don't work for them or anything. Just wanted to pass along the info. Good luck.

12. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

you might like the Tobias Growler.

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would really recommend tracking down an Ibanez ATK or look for an old USA Washburn bass that came with a super light swamp ash body, the Buzz Feiten tuning system and a Seymour Duncan pup. these basses originally cost around $1,700, but they can be found for $800-$350 if you look and have the cash in hand. like the peavey USA Millenniums, they are great basses that just didn't catch on, which makes them a steal for those in the know.

14. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    mtd kingston or heir, OLP Levin sig.

15. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    +1

or 705 if you want neck through

or Carvins. you could definately get a used one under that price, possibly a new one.

16. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I agree, those washburns were really nice for a while there. I've mostly only seen the cheap versions, but the top end USA made ones were really nice about 5 or 10 years ago. I'm not sure about the current production ... you just don't see that many washburns. I think the one I liked was called an XB900 or something like that? Two soapbars and an active pre, with the fretboard position dots on the E-string side of the neck. It was a real solid and snappy 4 string.

17. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I have a Copley Like this one with 2 Seymour Duncan MM style pickups and a Duncan 3 band eq with the slap contour which you can have for less than your budget if you're interested. Small & narrow neck.

Sounds great, plays well, ugly.

18. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I don't know all the basses in this thread, but I'd say hold out for a good deal on a Stingray 5. I don't particularly like them, but it sounds exactly like what you're after. They do have narrow spacing. I've seen them for $700...you just have to be patient. Personally, I'd prefer that tone to an MTD Kingston, Heir, or a Tobias Growler (or Renegade). Prefer the looks of the Growler and Renegade though! Anyway, all of those options are fine...Can't comment on the SRX option.

Marshall

19. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'd say either save up longer and buy a real EBMM Ray5, buy an SUB5. I haven't played many OLP's-but i'd say hold out for at least the SUB5-that way you have a REAL musicman product rather than an officially licensed one.

I've played my Ray5 as my main bass for right about 3 years now.

take it easy.

20. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics