slimmer neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by demonicsand, Jul 4, 2022.

1. demonicsand

demonicsand

Jul 4, 2022
    would an ibanez sound gear bass neck fit on a fender squier p bass looking for a slimmer neck compared to a squier neck to big an chunky neck for me

2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I doubt it, as the neck pocket of a soundgear is cut differently, it won't fit. (At least for mine - "square" pocket vs contured)

You'd have better luck looking at Jazz bass necks, but more informed people will help you out with that.

CallMeAl likes this.
  3. demonicsand

demonicsand

Jul 4, 2022
    ill have to try a jazz bass never played one mainly played p bass versions and some ibanez an i like the neck profile on ibanez basses but dont like there bodies

CallMeAl likes this.
  4. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Yeah look into a neck swap. A SR and Jazz both have 1.5” nuts. The SR is 0.768” at the 1st fret, my MIM Jazz is 0.78”. (Pretty common/standard from what I’ve seen.) Geddy Lee Jazz necks are even thinner than that. (~0.73”)

Welcome to the dark side ;)
    J Neck P Bass Club

5. demonicsand

demonicsand

Jul 4, 2022
    might have to try j neck then love my p bass body plus have geezer emg p bass pickups in it plus i took tone knob off since i dont ever use it

CallMeAl likes this.
  6. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I’d go out and play basses, see what you like and fits your budget. Then you can source a neck that meets the profile. I said “MIM” but that was an older Standard series. Similar to the Player series… but the Vintera series come with thicker necks… not all “Fender Jazz” (or Squier) have the same profile; you gotta figure out which ones tickle your fancy!

I wish Fender posted their thickness measurements like Ibanez does. But lots of people post their measurements here, just do a little sleuthing or ask around.