1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slimy Club Owners

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by zznewtzz, Feb 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. zznewtzz

zznewtzz

Mar 22, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    My band just did a two-nighter last week at a club we've not played at before. The club owner also plays in a band himself and it turns out the guitarist in the band is an old friend of mine I used to cross paths with "on the scene" about 15 / 20 years ago. The guy goes on to tell me that he joined the band because he got their other guitarist fired as he was holding them back from better gigs. So in essence, the club owner was an upgrade to the guy he replaced. The singer in the band happens to be the cook at the club and the owner dangled a gig at his own club as a carrot to get himself into this band.

Midway through the first evening the owner says to me that we're a great band but we'd have to get rid of our rhythm guitarist / vocalist as he is a weak link who will hold us back from the "next level". He tells me how much experience he has in these things, etc. and I listened politely and went on with my night. The next evening, our lead player mentions to me that the owner approached him about setting up a new project and that he was dissatisfied with the band he's in currently (the one that fired a guy for him to replace) and wants to play with better musicians.

Needless to say, after the gig we pulled all promo for his club from our FB page and website and I warned my old friend in the band about who they've got themselves involved with.

This person is using his club and his position to try and parachute himself into a successful band. You guys must have some stories to tell too. There is slime everywhere.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Mr_Moo, ReggieRochester and McG like this.
  2. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    Years back I played a small bar that we packed. Granted, that was maybe 50-75 people but it was a full house.

After the gig the owner wanted to cut our pay. He said, 'Yeah, you brought in a lot of people but they didn't drink that much.' So apparently we had to get his customers for him and then make sure they pay for overpriced drinks in mass quantities!

We were regulars there but that was our last gig although he continued to offer us jobs.

Mr_Moo, GregC, McG and 1 other person like this.
  3. zznewtzz

zznewtzz

Mar 22, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    Oldest trick in the book. We won't play without a signed contract anymore. The handshake and verbal agreement era is long gone... at least here in the city. We held stage monitors ransom once til we got our full pay. The bar manager paid us about 2/3rds of what they owed us and said the owner would have to pay us the rest next day.. sure, we'll bring your monitors back next day as well.

Mr_Moo, Oddly, GregC and 1 other person like this.
  4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

One day while walking through the woods, a blind bunny rabbit crossed paths with a blind snake. Since they'd never before met they decided to introduce themselves and get to know each other.

The snake says, "Since we're both blind, is it OK if I touch you to find out what you look like and guess who you are?"

The bunny rabbit said, "Sure! That sounds like fun. Go ahead."

The snake stroked the rabbit's fur, flicked his tongue on the bunny's fluffy tail, and rubbed his face against the rabbit's long floppy ears.

The snake said, "Well, you're covered in fur, you have a fluffy cotton ball tail and long floppy ears. You must be a bunny rabbit."

The bunny says, "Yes! That's right! Now it's my turn."

After the bunny rabbit did the same to the snake the snake asked, "Well? What do you think?"

The bunny says, "Well, you're kind of cold, slick, a little slimy, and you have no ears."

"You must be a club owner."

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I'll be here all week! icon_%20peace.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    rybergmj, filwitheneff, Baa and 22 others like this.
  5. We've had that happen before. We told him that we made a deal and he lived up to it in the end. Gig after at the same spot he slips us extra $100 because things went so well. Don't play there quite as much anymore though.

6. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I think my band had a similar but opposite situation. This was many moons ago, and it was our first few gigs playing out. Smallish club, we were playing the Fri/Sat night. Keep in mind there was a cover charge too. Friday night was OK but Saturday night we really packed the place. The owners complaint: There was so many people they had trouble getting to the bar to buy drinks. Well Excuuuuse Me! No pleasing some guys.

Mr_Moo, GregC and ptg like this.
  7. Only one I ever dealt with was a guy that was kind of a tool. We had a contract and he had a contract. Everything that our contract had that his had that was contradictory, he wouldn't agree to in our contract so he marked it out and initialed it and made us too. So then we had to abide by his contract. Of course, everything in HIS contract was better to him than us. When we got finished, there were, like two things that he agreed to in our contract. He signed ours and then handed his to us to sign. I got up and walked out. He had a hard time getting anybody good to play there, only the desperate bands...

BnB

Mr_Moo and BassCliff like this.
  8. Used to play a place that would always find reasons to knock money off of our payout at the end of the night. Always had his reasons, everything from we weren't playing the "right" music to low turnout numbers to we were either too loud or not loud enough. If we got them up dancing he would say we didn't play enough slow songs if we played some slow songs he would say that we didn't play enough to get them up dancing. If the place was packed at the end of the night he would complain that there weren't enough people at the beginning of the night.

Over time we just sort of came to accept that this is what he did. We would always anticipate that despite our protests he would chisel it down $100 from what he said he would pay us.

We learned to accept it and just stole anything that wasn't nailed down to make up the difference while we were there. Pint glasses, shot glasses, pool cues, mic stands, neon beer signs....if we could find a way to get it out of there without being noticed then we would. I seem to remember someone raiding the bathroom for toilet paper because he was almost out in his apartment. We played there enough times that it had to of been obvious as to what we were doing.

In retrospect I look back and realize that it wasn't the "right" thing to do but it was a way of getting our pound of flesh out of the place.

Mr_Moo, zznewtzz and Torrente Cro like this.
  9. I'm not one to advocate violence, but you really should have given that dude a good smackdown.

10. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I was in a band that reluctantly accepted a gig at a place that was notorious for double booking. Sure enough, as we were setting up, another band shows up. Fortunately, we knew, and were friends with the guys in the other band. The two bands had a little discussion in the parking lot, and to teach this guy a lesson, both bands walked, and the guy had no band for the weekend. Unsurprisingly, the place was out of business about a year later.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018