Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slinkies - I hate them

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Zirc, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Two weeks. That's how long they last. Two freaking weeks. I played 2 shows with them and a couple practices and now they're dead. They sound great when they're new, but terrible after 2 weeks.

I guess they make them like that to maximize revenue?

On top of that, I can't find the best strings ever anywhere now. Talking about Dean Markley Nickel Steels of course. So Slinky and nickel steel users. What have you found that is better?

2. I have tried many many different types of strings and find slinkys to be good strings. Not as expensive as most, but I think they sound great. Ive used them for years.

3. element

element

Nov 8, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I agree, slinkys have been my favourite strings for a long time now. Great sound, great price, and last for ages (for me anyway) I've got a set on one of my basses from about a year and a half ago.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I recently switched from Super Slinkies to DRs. I'm not lookin' back at all. :D

Ray

5. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Strings are like underwear or peanut butter. Everyone has their own favorites.

Slinkys are decent strings. I like them when they're new, then I like them more when they go a little dead. I prefer flats, though, so keep that in mind when rating my opinion.

I understand some people still play rounds all the time. That just boggles my mind. They're so....zingy. If I want zingy, I ask the drummer to smash a cymbal.

Bass. I like bass. I want it to make a big bass noise.

Is it just me?

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I wouldn't say it's just you, but I prefer the sound of round/slow rounds to flats.

Ray

7. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    Bartender, that's it, no more marzingis for Mr.Host but I'll order him a round of Harvey Wallshakers :smug:

what can i say, the wit well runeth dry as Vermouth sometimes... (is that contextually correct?does the Vermouth make it dry or absence of??) :eyebrow:

8. Dude, if you think your Slinky strings didn't last very long, it takes me 2-3 days to completely wear out DRs. The only strings that have actually lasted for me are Elixirs.

9. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    [​IMG]
    How could you hate this?

10. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've found that the tension is way too low with these... :D

11. I realy love slinky's, they sound good, feel good and last more than long enough

12. +1 on that. Back when I was playing a lot, I'd get two months out of a set before they died.

13. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Cuz they only make it a week before they get tangled up. ;)

14. +1.

(Tommy Hilfiger boxers and Jif are the best, btw ;) )

15. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I like medium-light guage strings, and a few years ago I was using Slinkys. since I play with a little bit of a heavy touch, I kept breaking them. I was breaking them alot. I just used them because everyone else used them...

I've switched over to Labella Slappers and never looked back!

16. Well, you're on the internet aren't you? Why don't you order your favorite strings online?

http://www.bassguitarstrings.us/xcart/customer/home.php?cat=253

17. Zachariah

Zachariah

Dec 16, 2004
    Houston
    ive never had a problem with slinkys, mine still sound great and ive had them on my bass for at least 7 months

18. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
  19. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    For 5-6 years i played nothing but Slinkies [back when i first got my jazz bass-i put Hybrids on it but then put GHS brite flats, then on the Pilot Plus 5-it has only had slinkies on it]. However, once i got my StingRay5-i just felt like that i went through the slinkies to the point of the G unraveling that it was time for me to find a new set of strings. I tried Dean Markley Blue Steels-i dig, but a bit bright-they're my current #2 fav. set.

Somewhere in there i read about the pros/cons of lighter and heavier guages. Ernie Ball has only recently came out with additional gauges in the 5 string sets. My current favorite set of strings are Ken Smith Bass Burners Light Gauge 5s. It's the 40-120 set. I dig em. They're a tiny bit [maybe 4-5 bucks max] more than the slinkies. I break a string every few months [the G unravels for me], however, with the amount that i play [at least 2hrs a day, some days i play for 10hrs including rehearsels] that is fine with me. Sound wise-just bright enough to keep some bite without so much that it makes me want to turn down the treble.

So back to the original post-Slinkies are decent strings, but there are definately far better and far worse strings out there.

That's all

20. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    +1 for the Slinky cause! :bassist:

[​IMG]