Slinkies, tapered fenders or flats on a MIM jazz V

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Scamp, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Scamp

Jul 18, 2003
    I've got a mim jazz V that still has the original tapered fender strings on it from 98 when it was made. I'm finally going to break down and change the strings. I had previously always used Ernie Ball strings on my 4 string and want to go back to them. I have heard nothing but complaints about the b string on a MIM jazz V so was wondering if i'm better off sticking with fenders since they are tapered. I've also heard conflicting reports on if the heavier gauge(power slinkies as opposed to super or regular) would be better for the 34" scale or if it would cause the string to be tighter. I only play finger style but hit harder then most as that is the sound I like. I have always played roundwound strings but my preference for a thumpy dull sound makes me wonder if flatwounds might not be the way to go. On the basses i've tried with flatwounds it feels like the strings are much looser so i'm hesitant to try them with a MIM jazz V. I'm not opposed to other brands of strings I just know that I like the Slinky sound after a month or so on a 4 string bass and would like to get the same string sound on my 5.
  2. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    You might like D'Addario Chromes. You would have to tweek the setup for the non-tapered B, but the extra tension and fat B string might be very nice. I had an MIA Deluxe V for a while and liked fat B strings strung thru the bridge instead of the body as my standard setup. The other 4 strings I strung thru the body. Of course YMMV.

I have chromes on my Stingray 5 now and they get better the longer they are on.