1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slinky cobalt flatwounds vs chromes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wattsman, Sep 20, 2017.

1. wattsman

wattsman Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Texas
    Hey guys,
    Now that EB slinkys have been around for a while, i want to get a feel what is the current trend.
    Which ones do you prefer and why?

Thanks

2. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    I have used both extensively and I would say the differences are more nuanced than overt. I would argue they are fairly similar. I would honestly base my purchase more on cost and availability, if I had to choose. One thing that the EB's have going for them is that you can get the hybrid gauge in a standard pack, so no need to mess with buying singles and such. That really only matters though if you actually want a hybrid gauge.

Honestly, I know that is probably not really that helpful. Since every room I play gets a different EQ setting, it really would be happy with either/or.

3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I prefer the feel of the Chromes.

Soundwise they seem close enough to me to be pretty much interchangeable.

4. wattsman

wattsman Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Texas
    Chromes are stiffer and to me they sound just a little bit more dull.

5. Agreed. EB's sound brighter when new but dull nicely over time. My sets of EB's have rusted quite noticeably tho.... don't think my Chromes or Fender Flats have done so. ...and they've been on far longer. The EB's still sound cool tho

6. According to EB cobalt is magnetically more active than stainless steel. In theory this means more output from the EB cobalt flats.

7. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    For me, the sticky feel was the deal killer on the Cobalts....and the 'less than lively' E string was the deal killer on the Chromes. I use LaBellas 760FL set and keep them clean with denatured alcohol. You'd be amazed how bright they are, and super smooth!

8. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    They are both on the very bright side for flats. Chromes in my experience sound boomy and have kind of a metal high-end and are lacking in lower mids--which is why people who like rounds tend to gravitate to them. The Cobalts are more balanced and full sounding, but are brighter at first and grabby--but that goes away.