Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slinkys or high beams?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ripper75, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Ripper75

Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    I need a flexible string that is smooth. Ernie ball slinky's or DR high beams? Any comments on these?

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    La bella hard rockin steel would meet your criteria better, but I really like both of the strings you asked about. The DRs are much more flexible than the slinkys, guage for guage.

3. I'd go with any of the DR's over the Ernie Balls. I got my free set of EB's when I bought my Stingray. They were the worst strings I've ever used. They sounded stale and they were super abrasive on my fingers.

I say go with the DR's, maybe try some fat beams. They're my fav.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    When I bought my sterling the G string snapped within about a week of having it. Maybe because I was going a little crazy slapping but even so. I got a free set of slinky's after our band bought some lights. Granted they have been on a good while but don't seem to be lasting as well as D'Adarios which I usually use. (since they are the most commonly available around here) So I would probably go with the DR's even though I have no experince with that particular string.

5. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I bet those broken strings were installed with a twist in the cores ... I've played dozens if not a hundred or more gigs on hybrid slinkys with no problems, long life, and a solid grindy rock tone. They're good strings, I've never figured out who OEMs them.

But try the Hard Rockin Steels. Trust me.

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have bases strung with both La Bell Hard Rockin Steels, and Ernie Ball hybrid Slinkys (nickel) - both are great sounding ad great feeling strings! Longevity seems good so far too!

Can't comment on the DRs though - never tried 'em! :)

7. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    ...not sure what type of music you play, so that would make a difference IMO.

I have used EB's and DR lo-riders and fat beams.

lo-riders by a mile!!! (and I play funk, jazz, gospel, R&B, and blues)

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The original poster asked for smooth flexible strings. I like lo riders too, but they are neither of those things. They are stiff, raw, and snappy.

9. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    hmmm, compared to the ones I've played, they seemed to be fairly smooth and flexible....but, my hands aren't his hands. Maybe some coated strings would work in the smooth department...DR makes those, too :D