Slipknot Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by PollyBass, Aug 30, 2001.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, saw that he uses a spector, but where was it made?
  2. he plays lefty warwick corvette 4-strings.
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh, my bad, i just cuaght a look at a picture and mistook the headstock for a spector. thanks.
  4. yeah it's a nice one also... i want one:D but i don't think i'll ever have that much money... well maybe someday
  5. LiL BaSS DuDe

LiL BaSS DuDe Guest

May 15, 2001
    It's a shame he never plays it... :rolleyes:
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Just watch it...
  7. if by that you mean he's not good, you obviously haven heard much slipknot. there are PLENTY of examples on all 3 slipknot albums of paul's ability, which i must say is awsome and much better (IMO)than a lot of modern bassists (all the virtuosos[right word??] aside, of course). also, if you can't play better than him, you have no room to talk.

I don't mean to sound hostile, and if thats not what you meant, then disregard this post.

8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    looks like your post could be looking to start a bit of trouble. Play nice or dont play at all...thanks :D
  9. I'm a slipknot fan, but I have to say that I don't think much of him as a bassist at all.
    On Slipknot and Iowa the bass is fairly simple and not that impressive, but the album before those the bass was better, but in an interview with Corey
    he said that Paul was added to the line-up after the first album, along with himself.
  10. pretty sure corey and JIM were added....but you may be right. as for paul's lines...sure they may be simplistic, but they fit best in slipknot's style. it would sound a bit off if he was busting out with funky slap-tap licks a la les claypool or flea, wouldn't it? i mean, sure, those kinds of lines COULD fit in, but would you want that funkiness in a hardcore band like slipknot? its all about personal taste so I'll respect your opinion as i expect you to respect mine. with that said, have a nice day:D

(helpful hint: the complexity of a bassplayer's lines isn't always the criterion by which he is deemed "good" or not. Sometimes, its his/her tone or how he/she fits into their band.)

11. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I don´t have problem with Slipknot´s music, I actully like, but to be realistic, you can´t really hear the bass in their records, too much bass drums and toms hited at the same time to "apreciate" the bass lines......I don´t doubt he´s a good player, at least a real fast player
    BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  12. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    i dont know what song it is off the first cd (mate.feed.kill.repeat.) but it had a slap solo and aside from his was pretty damn good.
  13. I was just reading some of your posts. They may seem simplistic and all.... But even the simplest ones are extremely hard to play. Take [SIC] for example, starts off with all B (that's how I play, probably wrong), and then a B#. But to play with the CD is almost impossible. Also keeping wiht that... Anyone just learning Wait and Bleed, will find it, also, extremely hard to keep up with CD.

This post is dumb, and I understand that. I just happened to read one message and kind of put me in the mood to write, even though everyone else has already stated what I just said.
  14. APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Wahh haha ha ha There's a song called hahaha what? . . . . "Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat." . . . ha ha I didn't know they were a comedy band! hohoho All of a sudden I view their sack-clad faces with a new respect!

15. wow....that was not the LEAST bit funny. I mean seriously....that was so pointless. Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat. is the title of their FIRST ALBUM, not a song. :rolleyes:

ANYway....oldskool, the song you're talking about is Do Nothing/ almost positive. I agree that is an awsome bass song.

16. APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    "Do Nothing/Bitchslap" - it gets better - I guess I'm just surprised that a group who look like this - - write such humorous songs with such delightful titles!
  17. ok....THAT is NOT the slipknot we're talking about. THIS is the SlipKnoT we're talking about:

i hope this clears up your confusion.

18. I'm afraid I don't understand Slipknot.

I've tried, but it just sounds like industrial noise to me.

Each to there own and everything, but I what are 'good' musicians doing making such an aweful noise?

Why don't they play nice music, like The Beatles or The Monkeys do?
  19. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  20. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    In response, here's a little Ditty I picked up somewhere on the net...

Slipknot? Slipknot is about fury. Fury, transferred into music will not be, ah, pleasing(?) to many. They represent that feeling of absolute bloodwrath that many disenfranchised, alienated kids feel. They are as much the Zen of the youth culture as Gardening or car repair is to another generation (or even different ends of the same demographic spectrum). To say they are image based is as much a misconception as Mudvayne, or even the Arty Tool, or the glitzy Kiss. Image happens to be something many take as a bad thing. Paganini had the image of a wildman, and yet his works are respected. His persona did not reflect his music. To that extent, Slipknots aggression, masks, coveralls and bombast is not a calculated marketing ploy, but just another aspect of the people, not necessarily the music. Slipknot may not be so much a masked bunch of men, but something else. To many, many youths, they represent the madness that they feel, both consciously, and in their Id. Suffice to say, taking them at face value is not advisable. To take them personally, as the manifestation of your anxiety, frustration, aggression, anger, pathos, and psychosis is a better way to feel/listen to them.

Or, I might just be crazy. Take your pick.

Yeah. What he said. And Live, the guy cuts through like a knife. He's actually not bad. Not jaw dropping, but the guy earns his keep, trust me.

And the may have heard a rumor that they didn't play their own instruments...well, IT'S TRUE! Mwahahaha!;):D:D