1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slipknot fan club (the band not the literal knot)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SuperUltra, Mar 7, 2019.

1. No the bass in that pic was a 5 string Ibanez I had. Don't remember the model I sold when I lost interest in 5 string bass's lol.

SuperUltra likes this.
  2. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Aren't they the ones who sing Beth? Pretty song.

3. Fialka

Fialka

Jul 29, 2018
    I listened to them as a kid and recently found interest in them again. I Love their earlier works.

SuperUltra likes this.
  4. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Feb 11, 2019
    Again so close but so far away

5. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Oh. It's U2! I didn't recognize Bono with the mask. Another pretty song.

SuperUltra likes this.
  6. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    I'm kind of a fan, I really like the psychosocial album. I do I like Stone Sour more though. Joey Jordison leaving was a huge loss, and with the Stone Sour drama- I wonder if Jim Root isn't on borrowed time. Eventually it will just be the Corey Taylor band.

corey taylor 12745837_1214760951886641_8260936077764809012_n.

SuperUltra likes this.
  7. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    A slip knot is different than a noose knot.
    A noose knot has 13 “wraps” that represent 12 jurors and a judge.

SuperUltra likes this.
  8. ogreboy88

ogreboy88

Apr 24, 2016
    I've listened to my fair share of Slipknot.

They're really good at writing riffs that feel asymmetrical, as though accumulating potential energy with every repetition.

I drifted away several years ago, but I continue to go back again and again for one song: Iowa. I can't think of another song by anyone that channels that much raw crazy. An irreplaceable masterpiece.

YMMV.

SuperUltra likes this.
  9. ogreboy88

ogreboy88

Apr 24, 2016
    ...also, I vote prusik.

10. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    I'm not familiar with Slipknot's music, but I'm curious about wearing a mask while playing. I wonder if that would give one a greater sense of liberation on stage. If no one can "see" you, perhaps one would play with fewer nerves or anxiety about not making mistakes.

SuperUltra likes this.
  11. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Although I dont care for their recent stuff..... I am happy to say that I got to see them 4 times in 1999.
    Ozzfest Tinley Park IL
    Ozzfest Alpine Valley WI
    w/ Coal Chamber and Machine Head at Madison Theater Peoria IL
    w/ Coal Chamber and Machine Head at Riviera Theater Chicago IL

SuperUltra likes this.
  12. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Feb 11, 2019
    11AFF9CD-2766-4656-8465-5941559DD7E8.
    Meet the founding member of slipknot, Shawn Crahan or the clown, as they call him.

13. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    I dig em.

SuperUltra likes this.
  14. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I love Slipknot. My favorite song by them is Before I Forget, because that's the one that got me into them. I'd written them off as a gimmick band, and didn't pay any attention to them. Then Before I Forget came on the radio and it was massive. I tracked it down and found out it was by Slipknot. I checked out other songs on that album, and really liked them. Bought the album, and drowned myself in it. Bought their other stuff, and realized what I'd been missing.

One of my favorite concerts was in 2015. Slipknot, Lamb of God, Bullet For My Valentine, and Motionless In White. Each band put on a great show, and it was like a video game in the way it got progressively better with each act. Lamb of God was so good, I was wondering how Slipknot was going to compete. Then they hit the stage and basically said, "this is why we're headlining". Pure energy from start to finish, at least 3 massive simultaneous mosh pits, and I didn't meet any jerks in the audience.

ObsessiveArcher and SuperUltra like this.
  15. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    They have grown a lot from their first CD. Check out their last release The Grey Chapter. There is a little bit of everything on it.

SuperUltra likes this.
  16. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    A ton of ink has been put to paper about their masks. It started as part of their vibe, but as evolved into a sort of psychological trigger for the band. They put on the masks and outfits and now they know it is go time.
    If you were to see them as they are, it would take something away from them, IMO. Metal is about the stepping outside the norm into a separate mental space. Sometimes a fetish helps create that space.

Runnerman likes this.
  17. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Ha. I'm 44. I thought I was the oldest Slipknot fan around.\m/

18. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Lovin' the lows Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    I'm a huge fan of the earlier stuff, but I just can't seem to get completely on board with the newer albums. The new albums have greats songs, but as a whole, it's just not the same. The Slipknot and Iowa albums are masterpieces, front to back.

I've seen them a few times over the years. Every time has been spectacular. I don't think anyone can match their energy level.

SuperUltra likes this.
  19. Mordamir

Mordamir

Oct 19, 2018
    Funeralopolis
    I like them, I have a few of their albums. I haven't really listened to them in a while though as I've been on a Doom and Black metal kick for the past decade or so.

20. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    I was into them as a young teenager and liked Vol. 3 the best. I liked a lot of other very different music at the time though too and ultimately never came back to them after that. I saw them live once and I think that is part of what turned me off in all honesty. Might have been bad sound overall that night but all I really could hear was drums, drums, and more drums. I get that percussion is a big part of their sound but it was too much for me. Every once and a while one of their songs will pop up and I'll listen.

SuperUltra likes this.