1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slipknot fan club (the band not the literal knot)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SuperUltra, Mar 7, 2019.

1. 123Nil

123Nil

Aug 29, 2015
    Texas
    Huge fan!!! Been with them since 1999..imo .. Vol 3 is when they went from Really Good !!!To Greatness!! I just recently payed to much for psychosocial experience pit tickets for me and my son.. Will be my son's first concert..he is 9 huge fan..like his Dad.. Go figure!!! Ha ha

SuperUltra likes this.
  2. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Feb 11, 2019
    Finally a real fan!

Anthony D Gattuso Jr likes this.
  3. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Feb 11, 2019
    Also nice profile pic of Alex!

4. 123Nil

123Nil

Aug 29, 2015
    Texas
    That was from a 2015 show in Texas.. Great to see other fans of Slipknot here.. Love the post you started by the way:)

SuperUltra likes this.
  5. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Feb 11, 2019
    Thank you sir

6. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Do adults actually listen to them? I have seen videos of them before, and I quite honestly assumed they were marketted toward 8–12 year olds. Fine for what they are...but I really thought they were just a kids band, like Josie and the Pussycats or something.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    It is hard to knock them. Their metals nail that aggressive energy. They are like the Wu Tang Clan.

SuperUltra likes this.
  8. Pyrat

Pyrat

Jul 20, 2012
    Minneapolis!
    Well, alright! Like any show...Talkbass can have it's own mosh pit, too. I'm a fan...AND another old guy (55). It's the thing that always makes me love music even more every day-listen, play, dance to whatever YOU like. Slipknot makes me laugh and bang my head (ooo, OW!) and get down. Rock on~

SuperUltra and 123Nil like this.
  9. brumebat

brumebat

Jan 22, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    This is fun to play.

SuperUltra likes this.
  10. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    That's pretty dismissive. When I see the cover of Sgt. Pepper it makes me think the Beatles were nothing but a bunch of burn out hippies. Is it a smart idea to make assumptions about stuff outside your realm of knowledge if you are letting your biases make those decisions for you?

GBBSbassist and SuperUltra like this.
  11. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    RIP Paul.

123Nil, wintremute and SuperUltra like this.
  12. Jason Harris

Jason Harris

Jan 17, 2017
    Dont worry a got a similar Warwick Streamer to his so maybe that instead ;)
    I can't count anyways

The13thFret likes this.
  13. Jason Harris

Jason Harris

Jan 17, 2017
    I've always thought Vermillion was easliy their best song P.t 1 I mean
    Bass is killer and fun to play

Gently is near the top to with its vibe my second fav song to play

wintremute and The13thFret like this.
  14. I’m a big fan of the first two albums and while I don’t have a chance to see them often (tour they are on right now totally skips over my state) I did get a chance to see them headline the house of blues (in another state of course) before Paul died and it was one of the best live shows I’ve actually seen.

SuperUltra likes this.
  15. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    So it jus dawned on me that this is a slipknot convo with a bunch of bass players... what a great place to have a convo that i had recently with my guit***.
    Is it just me or was joey a bazillion times better for them? The way his writing held the pace and intent of the songs was just phenomenal.
    Additionally, although their current drummer is obviously super talented.... anybody else feel like slipknot missed out when they passed on Krimh? That dude has crazy tight audition videos up on youtube and has now gone on to play for Septic Flesh and Behemoth.

16. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Honestly, I didn't notice a difference when Joey left. Jay is a great drummer and understands the style. Vman isn't that different from Paul either. His tone cuts through maybe a little better. A lack of Paul's input in writing on the last one changed the vibe a little, but like I said, each album is so different it is hard to know if the changes are just the natural progression of the band, or the changing of two members.

wintremute, SuperUltra and MordBass like this.
  17. 123Nil

123Nil

Aug 29, 2015
    Texas
    Without a doubt!! IMO.. Joey, is a much better drummer.. Jay is Great Drummer.. But he is not Joey.. I think Jay, does his best to copy Joey J's style.. It's just not the same.. Vol 3 for me, is when the band really took off.. Vol3 is still my favorite album from them.. It was so good

SuperUltra and MordBass like this.
  18. Jason Harris

Jason Harris

Jan 17, 2017
    I have to disagree with Vman and Paul the tones couldnt be more different, the thumb was killer.
    Vman hasnt rly had a chance to sign other then AOV and the ending of Devil in I but I feel like Vman doesnt want to over step his role and do much.
    Paul live was always great always doing improv and his headbanging in the early days was insane!

wintremute and SuperUltra like this.
  19. 123Nil

123Nil

Aug 29, 2015
    Texas
    I agree, Alex & Paul are very different.. I also feel Vman is playing it safe... I've seen him with Slipknot 2 times.. And both times, he looked as if he was just trying to find his place in the band..imo

SuperUltra likes this.
  20. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    That would be a very stressful position to fill. One of the most popular metal bands in the world, replacing a member who killed himself, so many eyes and ears on you. Trying to find that delicate balance between "you're just copying Paul" and "you're too different from Paul" has to be exhausting. Yeah, I'd play it safe, too.

Jason Harris likes this.