1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slipknot fan club (the band not the literal knot)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SuperUltra, Mar 7, 2019.

1. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    When it comes to bass, I'd say both played it safe. Paul was competent, but not Ryan Martinie or anything. With that much going on in the mix, there isn't a lot of space for Paul to do much anyway. Both he and Alex started as guitar players, so their approach to the instrument is going to be that of what a guitar player wants from the bass, ie "shut up and play roots."
    I can at least hear Alex on Gray Chapter. It was very hard to hear Paul most of the time.

MordBass likes this.
  2. Oh...this is not a thread about knot tying? Nevermind then...

:laugh:

SuperUltra likes this.
  3. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I find it interesting that once you determine this thread is not what you presumed it was, you go listen to a Nirvana album.

SuperUltra likes this.
  4. Ha! Nice.

5. Jason Harris

Jason Harris

Jan 17, 2017
    Rly you find Alex easy to hear on the Gray Chapter?
    I find it very hard for most songs, but with Paul for the first 3 albums and the demo he was pretty easy to hear for me.

123Nil and SuperUltra like this.
  6. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    The tone on VMan's bass has more mids. Of course during the fast tremolo picking parts nearly any bass would get lost, but I remember his tone being more obvious to me when I heard Devil In I. Negative One is a little more of a "traditional" sound for them; just low end. For all I know, Alex didn't record it since it came out before the final release.
    Paul's tone was very scooped and didn't have much articulation. When dealing with low tunings like that, mids are your friend. You could hear the low end behind the guitars, but it wasn't its own sound.

Jason Harris likes this.
  7. Jason Harris

Jason Harris

Jan 17, 2017
    Yea Vmans tone is probaly better and sounds like a piano, listening to the custer bass track it basicly sounds like midi.
    But Pauls tone in Iowa and Vol3 was insane but very metal dont good for much else

SuperUltra likes this.
  8. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Some crazy news out of the Slipknot camp:
    It would seem that Chris Fehn has filed a suit against the band for unpaid wages while performing. Something about money being hidden in little sub companies.
    I hope this is all a big misunderstanding. They are trying to finish off an album and plan a tour. The last thing they need right now is a law suit distracting them.
    Another thing is trust. If there has been shenanigans with the dough, how do these guys trust each other knowing some might be dealing from the bottom of the deck?
    Fingers crossed for a peaceful resolution.

SuperUltra likes this.
  9. 123Nil

123Nil

Aug 29, 2015
    Texas
    Just saw this online..during break.. I would not plan, on seeing Chris this tour.. Chris also, does a bunch of backup singing/screaming for the band.. Slipknot Drummer Chris Fehn Sues Band Over Money Dispute

SuperUltra and socialleper like this.
  10. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Feb 11, 2019
    I saw that’s aswell.

11. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Feb 11, 2019
    My only hope is that Slipknot does not turn into mushroomhead and have members leaving and joining left and right.

12. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    I feel like Ghost is the new gold standard for that lol

SuperUltra likes this.
  13. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Feb 11, 2019
    I think I saw a rumor, a fake rumor of course, that Zac Baird from korn was their new keyboardist.

14. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    That would really impact their vibe in a negative way.

SuperUltra likes this.
  15. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    I mean, Ghost apparently goes through employees like water.....or air..... :laugh:

SuperUltra likes this.
  16. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Feb 11, 2019
    Do they even have a keyboardist?

17. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Ghost? Yes. As of the last record cycle the keyboardist is one of the only Nameless Ghouls with a slightly different mask. It has wild Beethoven hair, which I thought was kinda funny.

SuperUltra likes this.
  18. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Yes. He basically plays an organ... but yea, its a keyboard.. and sometimes a key-tar.
    Honestly, I saw ghost live in 2013 and 2015, both at smaller venues and theyre amazing. I really dislike how the singer is running things but then again who knows whats really been going on. I mean, so far the former members have lost every court case so i guess we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

And... to be honest.... its kind of a great idea. Your musicians are masked so if any flake on you or quit, you just replace them but keep the costume and instrument so the fans have no idea. He could cycle through all members in a week and nobody would notice. Its almost like a more secretive Gwar. Gwar has been through many members but insists that the band is the costumes/characters so it is eternal. Kind of like how bart simpson has been in grade school for 30 years lol.

SuperUltra likes this.
  19. Jason Harris

Jason Harris

Jan 17, 2017
    With Chris now out of the band what's gonna happen?
    This is really disappointing news

20. Jason Harris

Jason Harris

Jan 17, 2017
    A message from Slipknot
    Slipknot’s focus is on making album #6, and our upcoming shows around the world, our best ever. Chris knows why he is no longer a part of Slipknot. We are disappointed that he chose to point fingers and manufacture claims, rather than doing what was necessary to continue to be a part of Slipknot. We would have preferred he not take the path that he has, but evolution in all things is a necessary part of this life.

Long Live The Knot.

SuperUltra likes this.