Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slipknot Old vs. New

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by John Davis, Sep 22, 2001.

1. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    The title is misleading, but who here has heard the original Slipknot CD? Not the self-titled, but the original independant release. Just wondering because I've just seen the new Slipknot music video and realized they are getting worse(IMO! IMO! IMO!!!!!!!!!).

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, i have it. I wouldnt say worse. maybe straying a little from how they used to play. i dont think worse. just a little diffirent.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't know about worse...just...different. on MFKR, they were a lot more progressive, with mutant jazz breaks, and in general more interesting. Now? Now they're gravitating much more towards death metal. No complaints here.

And as for Left Behind...that's a radio baby. Can't fault em for trying to make a name for themselves. Course, at that song/video is massive misrepresentaion, but hey, I still kinda dig it.

4. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Death metal? That's kinda pushing it. It just sounds like nu-metal. And Slipknot is hard rock, the workd metal is being thrown around too much now-a-days(as in nu-metal).

5. ShawnExhumed

ShawnExhumed

Aug 17, 2001
    well, Anders Colsefni really wasn't the right type of vocalist for what slipknot. when he was in Painface (they broke up a few months ago) he was great. great real metal vocalist. slipknot's s/t cd has some excellent songs on it. especially diluted, scissors, purity, only one, and a couple others. the new cd's lacking in lyrical depth, but is still a good cd. they're heading towards grindcore. if joey would blast beat on drums more, and corey started doing the deeper scream of his more, they'd be really good grind. they're like the bastard child of napalm death and korn. the death metal thing, nah. no death metal. they don't have the guitar solos to be death metal. i'm sure corey could do a pretty good deep growl if he wanted though.

6. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I agree the best songs off the self titled were on the latter part of the CD. Songs such as, Diluted, Prosthetics, PURITY(my favorite :D), and Only One. Wait and Bleed made them famous some how, and now thats what Iowa is like, it's just variations of Wait and Bleed.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Please note the preceding words "Gravitating Towards"

And Actually if someone says the words Nu metal, or spells it that way, they deserve a swift kick in the arse. It's not metal, it's a buncha whiners who don't wanna be called "Hard Rock" because so was Aerosmith and Whitesnake (at their respective times). As such, any morons who insist on being "rebels" based on the fact that like "Nu" metal (i.e. Korn, ect), need a swift kick in the teeth, and a Slayer album. Of course, that just my take. I could be wrong.

8. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Notice my statement:

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I liked Prosthetics, because that was the most heavily percussion oriented song on that album, and of course Purity (I got one of the first printings so I too have it)...I did a class song presentation on Dilluted, and pretty much everthing but Scissors. Oh, and I liked the timing on Only One. started out kinda weak, but shaped up nicely.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I wasn't dissagreeing about the hard rock thing Sic, I was quantifying it.

11. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I basically said the same thing you said, just pointing that out. Anyway, I'm listening to Do Nothing off MFKR. Cool song!

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dig that one myself.

13. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    the new slipknot rocks..as do the old ones..but i have morpheus and i downloaded new songs but BUT HERE IS A WARNING

SOME OF THE NEW SLIPKNOT SONGS THAT CAN BE DOWNLOADED ARE FAKES

SLIPKNOT ARE SUEING THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE DONE THAT
    but yeah apart from that they rock..i love left behind but hey thats me...
    cya's

kirby

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, God hates us all :eek: :D

15. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    :rolleyes:

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hey man, chill out!

It's just the title of their new album. :p ;)

17. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I know, that's why I rolled my eyes at you.

18. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    sicplayer
    i cant see no eyes......:rolleyes:

19. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas

Eyes! RIGHT THERE! :D

20. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    *lowers head, walks into corner and puts on pointy hat*

god damn internet explorer. NEVER shows those cute little faces....