Slipknot on Conan O'Brien

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassr64, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
    This Friday 10th
    Just FYI
  2. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I liked their first performance better. But they were cool none the less. When did they change their masks and did they add a second DJ?
  3. they all decided to change their masks when writing the new album, since they did very heavey touring, the masks started to decompose because of all the sweat and abuse they receved night after night
  4. Saw Slipknot on Conan.
    They sounded like ****.
    Too many people crowding the stage, a few doing nothing.
    They look like a bunch of middle aged biker guys who are so ugly they have to wear masks to get over on the kiddies rebeling against mommy & daddy, trying to be cool.
    Head bobbing is SO passe', give me a break, it looked as if they were doing the Bob Johnson.

It's like Kirk Hammet said: "If you can't sing... scream." They'll be gone and forgotten soon enough.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    ...don't mind me...

...just passing through...

...just carry on enjoying yourselves.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    1- Missed it.
    2- Damn.
    3- Slipknot. Passing Fad. Mmmmk. Yeah. And so was Kiss. Not that I'm comparing the two, (actually, I am...), but in the same way, people said "It's all show"...and well, Kiss, is...actually, this isn't helping.... Try this: (Don't know where it's from, I just like to use it).

Slipknot? Slipknot is about fury. Fury, transferred into music will not be, ah, pleasing(?) to many. They represent that feeling of absolute bloodwrath that many disenfranchised, alienated kids feel. They are as much the Zen of the youth culture as Gardening or car repair is to another generation (or even different ends of the same demographic spectrum). To say they are image based is as much a misconception as Mudvayne, or even the Arty Tool, or the glitzy Kiss. Image happens to be something many take as a bad thing. Paganini had the image of a wildman, and yet his works are respected. His persona did not reflect his music. To that extent, Slipknots aggression, masks, coveralls and bombast is not a calculated marketing ploy, but just another aspect of the people, not necessarily the music. Slipknot may not be so much a masked bunch of men, but something else. To many, many youths, they represent the madness that they feel, both consciously, and in their Id. Suffice to say, taking them at face value is not advisable. To take them personally, as the manifestation of your anxiety, frustration, aggression, anger, pathos, and psychosis is a better way to feel/listen to them.

7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Change Masks: What Muttluck said.
    Second DJ- Nope, just the Sampler/Keyboard guy doing a bit more. And the DJ always changins his mask. Whatever Gas mask he happens to like at the moment.
  8. yeah, i caught it. i also caught slipknot the first time they were on conan, before most of the people had heard of them. i used to love slipknot, but the cd got real old real fast. then it became a trend, which wouldn't bother me, but it was more like icing on the cake. THOUGH, i am going to buy the new album, because they music is not too terrible, and the Kerry King made a reference towards them in an old guitar world.
  9. i think it sucked, first time on was much better, it was too thick a song to play when you're on tv, ends up coming out like mush, also, sean and other percussion guys werent doing anything, cause they werent in on the song, first one was better for a few reasons...
    -wait and bleed is a thinner song, so it actualy sounded good
    -not as much head banging... kinda looked really really stupid this time around
    -i personaly didnt like this song, was "555 to the 666"? i didnt catch the words
    -i like the old masks better, somthing about shawn's first generation clown mask. Cory's mask looked funny this time around. old one was better imo
  10. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    thats just ure opinion, other people think differently but i'm sure many would agree with you.

and I don't think it is just a phase that will be gone soon and I dont care if it is, I'm still gonna enjoy them while they're here.
  11. Slipknot are supposed to be an anti-image band, but they're whole sucess depends on their image, all the masks and the overalls and their 'we're so hard' attitude. They're music is dull and the lyrics have no meaning, only little kids get into them thinking it makes them cool, and going around wearing their hoodies. They're just another self-obsessed nu-metal band who can't do anything original. I saw them at the Ozzfest and they sucked it was just a din and you could hardly here any distinct parts, half the band did nothing and just jumped around, and the bass sucks.

Sorry and no offence to anyone who likes them, I don't know what came over me, I just had to get that off my chest. Can anyone honestly say they think they would have gotten anywhere without their masks. Sorry again.
  12. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i saw the conan show and i noticed two of the members didnt do what they usually do with the trashcan drums...they were just standing there.

i saw them at ozzfest yesterday....sounded like **** compared to bands like linkin park and black sabbath!
  13. And if Linkin Park sounds better than you, its time to hang em up.
  14. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

The bass sucks ? You obviously haven't heard any of their "B side" stuff if that's what you call it. I can think of 2 songs off the top of my head where the bass is just impressive "Do nothing bitchslap" is a crazy funk/jazz/metal thing and there's another one which I can't remember the name of that starts with an unreal tapping riff. As for the lyrics, you.......
    forget it, you don't know what you're talking about.
  15. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    what does dis mean?:confused:
  16. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I am not a big Slipknot fan, but I thought I'd hang out and watch 'em tear it up anyway. I am kind of glad I did -- it was not the greatest thing I have ever seen (they're no GWAR), but it was cool. I kinda liked the choreographed headbanging, but I too wondered out loud about the fact that two of the guys didn't seem to be doing anything (the clown and the guy with the nails in his helmet) and one of the other guys only sang one line during each chorus (the long-nosed guy). I didn't figure out until the next day that the song they performed was "Heretic Song."

FYI, their new masks are courtesy of Screamin' Mad George -- a "big name" in Hollywood special effects.
  17. i thought the performance was under par. the stage was too small and i was sick of the camera focusing on clown and his gay girations while he clawed at the "exposed brain" of his mask. clown should be booted from the band or smacked upside the head and given a new mask because he pisses me off. sure my name may imply that im a diehard fan, and i may be so, but i just 'despise' clown (pun intended).........:rolleyes:
  18. A Rock sorry for not clarifying. The comment suggests that Linkin Park is the Metal equivalent of a boy band, they are trendy, and "fake", if they are coming off as a better metal act than Slipknot to somebody, than Slipknot has lost a step. I myself enjoy Slipknot because they are more real than Linkin Park, Linkin and Crazy Town are interchangeable. If this was ten years ago they would be playing grunge, any metal fan that has been around a while resents Linkin and I can see why.
  19. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i like linkin park because they are bringing something new to the table....when i got to metal concerts i hate hearing the same things over and over and i just feel like leavin cuz my ears hurt....i like melodic bands like them....also i tought taproot had nice guitar riffs...and the bassist to nonpoint had nice jaco style riffs....where slipnot i couldnt really hear much(this based on live music)...i like slipnots produced for crazytown...they suck live!