Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slipknot: Vol 3 (The subliminal Verses)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vorago, May 13, 2004.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    And? What do you think? I am listening to the single 'Duality' and I have to say that it kicks serious ass! Very promising for the forthcoming album I have to say. I can't wait, and I finaly get to see em live this summer :) . 'Slipknot' is one of my favorite albums ever, though I didn't really liked 'Iowa', too pushed, although People=**** is quite a basher ...

Anyway, any thoughts on the new single?

2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I used to like them, but now I dont, The drummer is Good (The main drummer) and Corey has a great voice when he sings. Everyone else is sub-par.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I give Joey Jordison props. He essentially wrote all of the eponymous album. All but a bit of the guitar is his work, and he does all the drum work, so he gets my respect.

Now, I don't much care for Slipknot anymore (yay for not being 15), but I will give them that they are one of the heaviest bands to get as popular as they are.

4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    "Now, I don't much care for Slipknot anymore (yay for not being 15), but I will give them that they are one of the heaviest bands to get as popular as they are."

Very True, They said that they would break up if they got "Too popular".

5. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I remember slipknot back from when i was younger. I don't really get the whole mask thing or why they need 9 people in the band, but i guess the younger kids have to start off somewhere.

6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    They didnt need nine people, They were all just friends, and they all could sorta play instruments so why not? Saying "YOu cant have nine people in a band" is like Saying "Jaco Only needed Four Strings".

But they also wanted a Large Variety of sound possible, now I guess that they didnt use it to its full potential Musically, but they did beat the crap out of all the drums.

7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    i'm not saying they can't have 9 people in the band, it's just the first time i heard them i pictured a 4 mabey 5 piece band. I was surpirised to learn they had 9 people. That's like 4 people who do almost nothing.

Anyone else see a very obvious ripp off type thing going on with slipknot, the first time i saw a group picture i thought they were ripping off Mr. Bungle?

8. i concur.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    IMHO, they could/should wrap up the 9 to something smaller. Like, one extra percussionist, and then have one guy tackle the DJ/Sample/Percussion. So, 7, and you could eat one of the guitars, I suppose, so 6?

6 or 7 works.

I think they work better as a melodicly (word?) edged metal band. Like the Duality song...or Stone Sour, come to think of it.

But, if you like melodic metal suff then the current wave of Black metal is good. In Flames, Soilwork, ect.

And Bad Brains, you're thinking of Mushroomhead, I think. They claim "concurrent but independant" on that mask/coveralls/excessive membership thing. Or Slipknot ripped them off. One of the two. I think it was the latterm but they sucked worse than Slipknot, so changed the story to the former.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Why do I know this much about Nu-metal?

11. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i havent listened to them in years. hopefully youll actually be able to hear the bass player this time around

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  12. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    i con't figure out what each of the 9 members do. I don't listin to the band, but i have heard them, judging from what i heard.

2 drummer, i think?
    1 guitarist, or at least that's what it sounds like
    1 bass playing, not that you can hear him play
    The dj

What are the other 4 members doing? (i probably have this all wrong anyways)

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    1 Vocalist
    2 Guitars
    1 Drummer
    2 Percussionists
    1 Bassist
    1 DJ
    1 Sampler/Media..guy. I think I heard somewhere he's also the manager, or was at some point. He's the truely useless guy.

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Mate. Feed. Kill. Repeat. = Good. Funky. Weird. Cool.

Slipknot = Kind of good. Sort of funky. Slightly weird. Somewhat cool.

Iowa = Not good. Not funky. Not weird. Not cool.

New CD = Hopefully good. Probably won't be funky. Weirdness highly unlikely. Coolness debatable.

I think they are really missing the boat witht he 9 guys thing. SO MUCH could be done, yet they are content to sound like a 5 piece. Lame. The only time that the DJ or sampler guy were even heard was on a few songs on Slipknot. Did the two extra drummers even play on Iowa at all?

By the way, all these guys can really play. Seriously.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I agree Ben. I had to see the live DVD for Iowa (Disasterpieces) to even know when the percussion guys were playing, and then, it was much, much less.

Saw them live back in may of... 99, 00? And the percussionists were actually kind of busy.

I also agree it's a wasted oppertunity. Think the percussive headaches they could do with contrasting time signatures and polyrhythms... and it's wasted. I'd love to see a group do that in a metal setting. You see it in world music, (whatever the hell "world" means), and I think it could seriously mess stuff up in metal. Drop in some weord samples, effects, and some competant DJ scratch/sound collage work...

Well, I think on paper, Slipknot has the potential to be the greatest and most mind bending metal band ever.

But they don't even try. They should. Furthering the problem I'll bet any band that trys to get a collective like that going would get Slipknot comparisons written all over them.

16. because you listen to mudvayne

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah. L.D 50 was a pretty snazzy album, but I dunno how Nu-metal it was. Pretty tech (time signatures ect) for Nu-metal, and the lyrics, while angsty, really aren't nu-metal material.

I think they hit because nu-metal was in, but not because they were nu-metal.

And, truth be told, I still haven't heard but one song off of The End of Everything To Come or whatever the second album is.

18. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I would join a band like that. Who's in with me?

Our band name will be Burnt Infant. Or perhaps Morbidly Obese. And we will rock.

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm down for vocals or bass.

20. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Thumbwrestle?