Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slipknot

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Wes I AM, Feb 14, 2001.

1. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    sorry kids. I know I posted something like this before but - Does Paul Grey of Slipknot use a pick or his his fingers? if he uses his fingers all the time then he has got great plucking speed and endurance. Also, what kinda setup does he have? he ain't flashy but I love Slipknot and you gotta work hard to add more rhythm and lowend to 3 drummers two B-string playin guitarists a DJ and a hardcore singer. thanks again

2. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I believe he uses a pick, and he uses a Wariwck bass. That's what I've been told, I don't know how you can tell what he's playing since he's virtually non-existant in the mix (I used to listen to Slipknot, *gag* :))

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah. He gets fills in the breaks, but that about the only time you hear him. And seeing them live, I know: He uses both, depending on the track. And for setup, I don't know. I couldn't get a good look from my perspective. An yeah, he works at it, but he does get lost in the mix a lot.

4. He uses a Warwick Corvette 4 string, tuned B-F#-B-E. He uses a pick on most songs, but on the Wait and Bleed video you can see he uses his fingers. And he's not totally non-existent in the mix, you just gotta listen for the bass, it's really clickety and fat. You may not be able to hear it real well but it does add low end. Oh yeah he also uses Ampeg amps (doesn't every "new metal" band?), don't know what model.
    And Slipknot happens to be my favorite band so lay off :D

5. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    They are one a my favs too bro. i don't know about his tone being clickety but it is very fat and rumbly. he may only get heard in his bass fills but he makes the best of them. i respect this bassist for being able to keep up with those drummers. those guys can wale on those skins, damn. bbbbbbbbbangbbbbbbbboom.

6. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    * gags again * how could u listen to that garbage

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I've been asked That. A lot of people think it's just noise. But, then, with nine members, you have to listen repeatedly, each time, you need to focus on a specific track, vocals, drums, guitar, DJ, ect, and you start to peice it together, and instead of noise, you hear a intricate mix of music. Of course, you just might hate that stuff anyway, so what I just said might not apply.

8. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    theres no real guitar riffs or musical sense in it more of a pulseing beat that's it. To me this band is lucky to go this far, just because theirs nine members doesn't mean their good.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Eh, To each his own. I happen to dig em.

10. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah! Slipknot rocks! the lyrics in Prosthetics still freak me out.

11. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    well I guess how good bass players are make feel what they listen too I guess

12. Yeah I learnt how to do one of them SLIP KNOT thingies in scouts!

13. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Posted by TT:
    well I guess how good bass players are make feel what they listen too I guess

what? is that English? bbboy, i ggguess i dddon't undddersstand your l l ll lang language TtttttTtTTtT T. ssssorrrry.

14. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    Sorry hard to type when I'm sick. I understand the english language very well, and sometimes things just don't come out correctly.It's quite obvious that I hate slipknot, for many reasons. I'm not going list them, due to the fact that I might start a flame. I got a few suggestions for you, Marcus Miller (is a real bass player that deserves respect) Mark King ( Is in level 42, and is basically the fastest slapper nexted to v.wooten.) Stanley Clarke is another great bass player, let's not forget good ol' Geddy Lee from rush. These are some bassplayers to look up too. BTW slipknot is gay for the fact that they beat them selves up on stage. I mean thats gotta show you how imature they are. You don't see Marcus Miller punch his singer in the head during a middle solo. I personally hope that the whole slipknot band reads this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    what's a matter cat got your ........

16. i hate slipknot
    if your band has more than 4 members that play electric instruments than its just gonna end up as noise

why dont they take off their stupid masks and write some good ****ing songs?

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno. It's all opinion. I've seen em live, and the mix is fine, nothing really gets lost, and I happen to like em. I know there's a lotta you guys that don't like them becuase their different by a quite a bit, but any jackass who calls any of this new stuff "new metal" and spells is N-U should be shot. I just happen to like them. Simple. Some people hate them with a passion. Simple. I don't like to argue about it, because nobody wins. I still like them, you still hate them. We waste time getting nowhere.

18. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    those other bassists that TT mentioned are obviously great. but they have gotten enough f*cking respect from all the old school kiss asses on this slightly liberal/ slightly conservative/ slightly dictatorial area of bass discussion. i am tired of hearing about them just as much as some of you are tired of hearing about feildy (who now i care nothing about). i just wanna post something different for a change if thats ok. and if its not then i will post it anyway. errr.

PS. yo mamma

19. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    I wouldn't consider them old school, I just think slipknot is high intense noise. Don't get me wrong I do listen to metal : Sepultera,Slayer,Metallica only master of puppets.

20. But some of us LIKE "high intense noise"! :D It's called playing what you FEEL, not trying to be the best at something.