Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slippage

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Aug 21, 2000.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    I have problems with a pick, because i does not seem to get the same amount of grip. But with my fingers i have a lot of grip, is it the pick that i'm using

2. Deicide666

Deicide666

May 1, 2000
    You might want to take a knife and score the surface of your pick. This will give you extra grip. I actually use Dunlop Gator Grip picks. They have sort of a powdery texture on them. It feels weird at first, but it really helps u keep a handle on it.

3. Lose the pick!!!!!!!;)

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

After having tried many brands of picks and picks of various materials and sizes and guages, I found that the very best is the Dunlop Gator Grip pick as mentioned above. I just wanted to add my endorsement to the previous one.

The special surface does wear off, however, after an hour or two, at least in South American heat where I played. So I always bought these picks in packages of a dozen or several dozen. I used the heaviest guage Dunlop made, because in the heat picks would bend in just a few minutes, but the heaviest guage Dunlop Gator Grip, while it did lose its texture after an hour or so, never broke or bent.

Jason Oldsted

5. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I like to punch a hole in the center of my picks with a paper hole puncher. I found that the skin of my thumb and first finger come into contact through the hole and that prevents the pick from moving. The only down side is that plastic tends to make a hole puncher really dull, so don't do it if you don't want to mess up your hole puncher.

6. Hey, I did that once. Only out of boredom. I never thought about it at all, actually. I just felt bored so I grabbed my hole puncher, one of my picks and just punched a hole in it. But I don't really feel any difference between the hole-punched pick and the un-punched ones. But then again, maybe it's just me. :D