Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slipping and Sliding

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Andy Allen, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was recording on Saturday and for the first time I had a problem with the endpin skating over their nice hardwood studio floor. I have a large rubber foot on the end already and this hasn't happened before at other studios.

Strangely enough they didn't take me up on my offer to remove the foot and plant the spike firmly into the wood. :spit: I can't imagine why. :p

I see there's a selection of pads and other accessories one can buy to help with this sort of thing - does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? :help:

Thanks,

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    There is a ball-shaped foot (like a superball) that I've seen in use and I witnessed it holding on tight to a polished marble floor. I'd love to have one, but forget who makes the damned thing.

3. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    Indiana
    A tip I got from my brother (a cellist) was an old piece of carpet, a bit wider than your seat/stool and as long as necessary, with piece of wood nailed across one end, as per the fabulous ascii-art below:

|___________O|\\\| d)

O = stool/seat leg goes here

Put the front two legs of your seat/stool on the carpet just in front of the bit of wood, so the carpet is held down and extends out in front of you. Put your endpin spike into the carpet and you're in business!
    You could probably use something similar for playing standing up.
    Hope this helps!

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    On the sitting plan, an old belt works similarly and pretty well.

5. I bet it's this: Wolf Super End Pin Stop. I have one and it has never let me down.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Ctrl-D -- Thanks!

7. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    I like it, thanks for the tip. I have been using the KC strings version which holds pretty well too.

8. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    If you sit, the Xeros End Pin Anchor works well. It has a metal D-Ring for your stool leg, with an adjustable nylon 2" strap connected to an aluminum plate/cup for your end pin. But be sure and get the Bass one, not the cello one. I think Lemur has them.

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I've always had pretty good luck by giving my crutch tip a couple of swipes of rosin...

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Iddnt dat a little rough on the f holes?

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Oh, right, you like FingerEase...

12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    FastFret -- but the same category, kinda.