1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SLM SVT-VR. When?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rodl2005, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Played the 'big' city festival last night.
    Used the same (I think) VR & blue & silver grille cloth 810 (an AV I think) as I did at the same festival last year.
    Was FUN being able to run the VR at 10.30 & therefore, just breaking up. Ain't much better imo. P-bass w- flats :)
    I looked on the back of both amp & cab- both made in USA by SLM.
    What year about is this? Did they make many?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    2005 was when it was introduced, and you'll have to ask Jerrold about how many they made but I imagine it couldn't have been more than a few million.

:D

3. Oh really! I didn't realize. I knew Loud took over about 06??, but I didn't realize the VR was out before then, or at least by much.
    Even tho the amp was lovely, the cab was pretty dull, kinda like a wet towel was over it. Still, I was able to get a great sound.

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    It overlaps the takeover..... a *few* were made here, IIRC, then it went to asia.

5. Thanks guys.
    Last night I was at same festival, a mates band was playing, so I sneaked up & checked out the 'back-up' rig.
    A virtually identical VR & AV810 cab. THESE 2 said 'made in USA by Loud' ??
    So I'm assuming these were just a tad later, after LOUD took over & before the Debacle & then subsequent resurgence- possibly made still by SLM, but badged by LOUD etc?
    The one I used on NYE sounded great, but during soundcheck I tried each channel & the rocker switches. Channel 2 worked ok, but the switches-whoooo! Noise land!
    Each imparted their own brand of hum & crackle :) It obviously needs a good going over.
    I left 'em alone, used ch.1 & had a great tone.

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    That's about it..... I am not totally sure when the chassis graphics got changed... I think all were made when Loud at least technically owned the company, but some before Loud had done any interfering in the line, development, closing departments, etc.

They waited a while, then started axing things...... service first, then marched right through the whole place until only two SLM folks still worked for them, and they axed one of those...... Dino is the "last man standing".

A bunch of VRs, 8PRos, and other things were made at SLM production facilities after the takeover but before SLM production got the ax.

7. Wow! Dino's the ONLY one left!!!
    They sure stuffed things up good 'n proper.
    Thanx for that Jerrold.

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    bugs me no end that ampeg finally got it right with the VR, just in time to get "louded" :(

9. Yeah, I know. But at least the VR's & MOST AMPEG things are now going well. I didn't like it when they were a laughing stock.
    Even tho I only really knew of Ampeg since about '03, I had a quick learning curve, read the Ampeg book & grabbed an SVT :)
    I loved the history of the co. & loved the sound, loved seeing all the old pics of my fave bands & finally knowing what the amp was the bassist was using.
    I'm glad they're back on track!

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    At least they got themselves straightened out.

11. bumbletoots

bumbletoots

Jan 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Can someone tell me what the exact differences are between the US and Vietnam models, besides country of origin?

Any significant component changes?

12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I know there was some issue with transformer manufacturing and that was moved from the us to Mexico then to Asia but I believe that was prior to the loud buyout/move to Vietnam and Korea. Jerrold would definitely know for sure, you could pm him to be sure. Otherwise I think the other components were probably mostly sourced overseas anyways.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, Electrical Windings didn't want to make SVT transformers anymore, so they charged an outrageous price and SLM dropped them and went to foreign transformers. Gun to my head, though, I can't tell a difference in the sound of the amps.

14. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Made to the same specs you shouldn't be able to, I'm just not sure if the EW bowed out before or after the introduction of the VR.

15. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I can finally say that I have played a USA, Vietnam and Korean VR through the same cab - my Berg NV610, although not side by side at the same time. I can honestly say I could detect no audible difference between them, and as I have posted before my Vietnam model has performed without a fault for a few years now.

16. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    Any speculation that Ampeg will announce at NAMM they are making a limited run of SVT VR's made in the USA? :bag:

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I've heard that, and I've heard they're making a Heritage flatback 810, a run of Heritage B-15's that they can sell in Europe, and a couple new PF cabs. The only one I've been able to confirm is the European Heritage B-15. It seems that being a B-level endorser doesn't mean you're an insider ;)

18. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    omg

19. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    Jimmy, you've never been considered a B-level endorser to us here on TB! Thanks for the info.

20. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Actually, they got bought out, and the buyers were the ones who goosed the price..... E-W were good people.