Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slogans for talkbass apparel

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Marlat, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I noticed a thread on "uglybassplayer.com" that basically poo poo'd talkbass.com for stealing their ideas for apparel.

In order to differentiate us from the crowd, we could come up wiht some slogan's to have on talkbass.com gear.

For example:

talkbass.com - where the bassplayers arn't ugly

Got GAS? - taslkbass.com

etc.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Bigger than guitar! - talkbass.com

Deeper, DeepER, DEEPER! -talkbass.com

3. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I agree we need something new - the bass clef has been 'done' by so many... I'm going to add a project to my list: a logo/slogan contest with the winner getting like a $50-$100 gift certificate at the store, or free stuff with their winning logo on it, etc. More details soon... :)

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    But then they'd bitch at us for ripping off the idea of coming up with clever puns. We already ripped off the bass clef.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well they stole all the ugly bass players! There only pretty ones left here....

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

YOUR TELLING ME! It makes me sick to my stomach having to be this beautiful.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I might dig this idea, as long as the slogan wasn't totally lame. I mean "Bass players do it deeper" and "Bass players get you off with two fingers and a thumb"... suck. Perverted doesn't always equal funny. In fact, this may be the exception to the rule. Inside joke T-shirts would be hilarious. We discussed it in the hoodie thread. A "You just got Fuqua'd at Talkbass.com" would be great... if Ed was still here. :meh:

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I dunno about in-jokes. Part of the point of having merchandise is that people on the street see it and think about joining. Not only will they not know what's going on, they'll think we're a bunch of idiots - which we are but that's beside the point :)

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

True, very true. But, there is also the possiblity of being intrigued enough to want to jump on the website and see what the hell we are talking about.

I personally, I know it costs more, but I'd like to see more visual T-shirts. Everything we have now is black and white, text and clef. I know it costs more, but I'd like to eventually see some really slick looking T-shirts. Bright colors are more likely to grab someone's attention. But then again, a huge bass clef is sure enough to catch any bassists attention. I'm going off topic though.

I don't like slogans, unless they are funny, and I'm talking adult swim funny. But this is just me. We should just have big John Turner T-shirts. A double neck 14-string bass/mullethawk is sure enough to catch ANYONE's attention.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Well, Jaco didn't know John Turner!!!!

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    How about a big picture of JT w/double neck on the front of the tshirt with:

"Ladies, where can you meet this man?"

and on the back:

"talkbass.com"

Actually, anything with JT's mullet on it would pretty much be a must buy for me :)

Talkbass / JT mugs with "JT only needed 7 strings"

12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

Awesome!!

My submission:

"Drummers break their sticks, Guitarists drop their picks, but the bassist goes on forever"

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    "I don't give a Fuqua"
    (talkbass.com)

14. "Talkbass - Where everyone has bigger woods and finger better"

15. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Word, Matt... Word.

16. I know Nick :p I put it up there for the hell of it...

17. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    One idea that someone posted a while ago that I think is awesome is to have a graphic with a bassist with the bass strapped on to his body, holding a stage above his head with the guitarist, drummer, and singer on it, with a slogan like "Holding it all together" or something to that affect. I know that slogan sucks, but thats something in the direction I am looking.

18. I think it's genius Nick :D Get some of the photoshop guys to draw something up maybe.

19. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thats my plan. I made a horrible horrible horrible picture of what I want in MS Paint, but it sucks too much for me to post it here :D

Anyone who is really good at drawing on the comp, or has a scanner or whatever, let me know, I'll send you my idea pic.

20. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Said it before and I'll say it again:

"What Part of Bbsus4aug5maj7b9#13 Don't You Understand?"

And, yes, I know this is a chord that one would never see (except perhaps in way-out-of-left-field atonal music)... but I'm pretty sure the notation is correct!