Sloppy Handwriting

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Aug 1, 2001.

1. Hey all you hepcats that write music,not lyrics but with notes. I have a problame. I have really sloppy hand writing. i mean REALLY sloppy handwriting. heck it's EqUal To ThIS. Anyway i was think on copying tab into a notation book. so what should i do?
  2. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    If it's that bad, try to get hold of some software that'll let you write music on your computer, like a word processor. It does exist, but it's rare. Happy Hunting.
  3. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Slow Down, Freak. I write like a Special Ed. kid when I go too fast. :)
  4. It's not that i write to fast. it's that i had a splinter long ago and didn't tell anyone. it was when i was first learning to write. so i just have it as a habit
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Yeah try and Get some software. I have nasty handwriting also.. i mean it is bad... but for my theory classes, I can't use software all the time.. just take it slow.... this sounds stupid but really practice making the notes... once you get those down its all about where to place them and it will make it so much easier
  6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    My hand writing is also very bad, sometimes I have a hard time to read it back. In theory classes it was hell to read it back ,when I had exams I slowed it down though.
    No I use finale 2001, I used encore 4.0 for a long while though.
  7. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I'm 15, my hand writing is about the same as a first grader [have done a side by side comparison]. I am very glad that i live in a place where computers & technology are relatively widely embraced by people [i'm proud to be an american ;) :D ]. thats all
  8. Kingdom Fallen

Kingdom Fallen

Jul 10, 2001
    Omaha, NE
    If you want a program to write tabs, but not actual note notation, go to,
  9. BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    Coda has a free notation program you can download called Notepad. Haven't used it myself but it seems cool.

I took a year of music copying classes when I was in school so, despite having completely illegible handwriting, I can quickly crank out notation that's accurate and readable. The folks who say to take it slow at first are right. For example, fill up an entire page of music paper with just noteheads, try to make them all alike and keep at it until you do. Eventually it will just be muscle memory and your notation will be neat and speedy. Sounds like the same advice I got for practicing on the bass...