(Sloppy) Slap Slide Bass by Yours Falsely

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's right, I'm not who I appear to be, my real name is Miquel Sanchez. Uhm, yeah.

So a friend wants to make a music video thang where it's 3 musicians in different areas playing their instruments. So we had to make a strange song with parts that don't really go together. Well... they do... but they don't. Same key, in time (sorta), but way different style.

I'm a huge Mark Sandman fan and I'm trying to get into slide playing. I watched a blues video and it featured Sun (Son?) House, who was playing some wicked slide, and it was almost slap guitar. So I decided my part was going to be slap slide bass. I've only been playing slide for about 2 days when we recorded this. My friend Shannon played piano, and Dan played drums. We are all a tad sloppy joe because it's one offs for the most part. We also have poopy mics.

It's the song called "Slidey Weird"
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Side note: Can anyone label this song a genre. It's so weird that I can't think of what it would be called. The piano is like Classical, but not flashy, the drums are like powerhouse rock, and the bass is slide slap. I call it "Shannoncore" because Shannon (the pianist) hates her performance. :D
  3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    It sounds like cut and paste work, like something a DJ/producer would put together using synths or samples. It's.............................................uh.......I don't really know what to say.

I'd call it skronk.
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Wow, I dig. Nice work. It makes me want to do a silly dance, but I can't... I can't dance.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, it's been known in the past to make people do a silly dance.

Against Will: The cut and paste feel partially comes from trying to fix the oopses. The Pianist screwed up during that first break (piano only) and we cut a few of her parts, and it sounded weird, so I cut the bass and drums as well.

I personally want to add more too it, some nice soft pad keys, backing a chord progression. But it's for a project about 3 muscians. And we all had to be fairly flashy because it's going to be 3 of us in seperate locations practicing. He's going to tape us playing, then animate it. Eventually becoming more and more abstract. I'm looking forward to the end product.

Damn, I need to get some webspace, I'm going have quite a few cool vids.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Heh, the vocals at the end are the only vox of mine. Since the song becomes more... mmm death metal at that point, I did an image search of Bal Sagoth... uh... thank you!...? :D
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't know what will come of us 3 making a song together. I would like it to form a band (maybe add a guitarist/vocalist/horn player/something) to fill it up a bit more. But the drummer/pianist like to party too much. I couldn't see them taking it seriously.
  8. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Good going Matt! did you use a preamp for the recording? sounds like you have a bit of tube overdrive going on, which adds a nice character to the bass tone.
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Thanks. Actually, there are no effects (well, compression), I recorded direct. I set my Dean Q-4 to the harshest possible tone, then recorded it onto two seperate tracks. Set one to be very bassy, and one remained harsh, and I turned it down a bit.

I really wish we had decent mics, because the drums were a two mic setup, neither that good, and the piano was one mic that wasn't working well at all. (To explain all the hiss) If I had everything recorded good, I could have produced that to sound very pro. Oh well. It's doin' pretty good on the soundclick charts. :)
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Matt, as usual, it kicks serious ass. :bassist: I wouldn't touch a thing. It has an excellent push pull thing going on.