1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

slouch roommates, how do you deal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linas, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Ok, i'll preface this by saying im not the tidiest individual, but my roommates are some serious slouches.

So my friend called me and told me to check my couch to see if he left his medication there. I went to go check, and i turned a couch cushion over, and there is ****ing strawberry jelly ALL OVER the underside of the cushion.

Sadly, the "its not mine, so why does it matter" philosophy permeates america. I know when I confront whichever roommate did it, they will use getting black out drunk as an excuse and shrug it off. No, its not that big of a deal, but ***!!! :rollno:

2. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    No such thing as a good roommate. :D

3. ^^

Yup, hate to say it man, but get out while you still can! Take it from someone who has had his fair share of awful roommates (and now refuses to live with them ever again). Bad roommates can't be changed, but where you live can be.

4. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Yep, even your best friends make crappy roomates. Now all I have is a slouch wife who leaves crap all over the house, but I signed a contract for this one.

5. HAH :D

6. My roommate is tidy and my girlfriend (future wife) is a clean freak. I don't and won't have this problem.

lowsound

7. Yes, this is certainly the advice the OP wants.

8. Spraeg

Spraeg

May 13, 2010
    Chicago
    it all depends on the roommates and the house. I've had good and I've had bad. If you have a roommate who just flat out will not listen, then there's not much you can do short of finding a sublet (or suffering out your lease) and leaving. It speaks volumes to the maturity level of your housemates if they refuse to clean up after themselves. If you sit them down and talk to them about it, and you see a change in behavior, then you got through to them, congrats, enjoy your living situation. If they continue to blow smoke up your ***, then it may just not be worth it- let them live in their filth and move on.

9. -but she will. ;)

10. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    If you think it will continue with that kind of scene, then I'd just look for your own place before things get sour, I've had quite a bit of experience of sharing, it can get tetchy and silly and divided, basically a pain, maybe save yourself the grief and look for your own space.....or find a nice girlfriend with one ; )?

11. If you're cool with them just let them know to clean up after themselves. My roommates last semester were awesome guys but they smelled like hell after coming in from working out or ultimate frisby and I let them know, lol. So they would febreeze their clothes turn on the fan and open the windows when they came back. If they start getting their crap on your side of the room or in the way of your stuff toss it on their bed.

12. I am clean as well, not a freak about it, but good enough.

lowsound

13. ez-rhino

ez-rhino

Sep 8, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Bass and Drum Mercenary
    get rid of the roommate.

14. i hold to a keep the mess in your room policy. your room can be as unkempt as you want as long as you can close the door. the main living/ dining area must be kept reasonably clean.

15. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    Congratulations?

16. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    A roommate who's room looks trashed or worse, is doin' damage to floors/carpet, right?

Guess who will end up paying? Kind of like payback for living with an overgrown teenager <--- Polite description.

17. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    My roommate's description. I deal with it by being frequent and mature in my requests. Things like using all dishes and cleaning none, or leaving dirty stuff in common rooms don't run well here. Fortunately I have agreement from the other roommates (we're four in a huge apartment).

18. How do I deal with it? I live alone, it's the only way to stay sane :p

19. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    There's your answer-----

If you simply need a decent and clean roommate for finances-start looking and the leave---just have the new place confirmed before you tell'em or (based on the behavior you have revealed) they may trash/break crap and leave you holding the bag before you can escape.

20. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    really, nobody else is curious?

ok, how exactly does jelly end up under a cushion? like the only way i can think of is that someone dropped a very wet sandwich on the couch, then (very purposefully) flipped over the cushion so no one would notice. is that about right?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021