1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slow Blues bassline help needed!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by tsol, Jan 15, 2009.

1. tsol

tsol

Jan 15, 2009
    Hi all

i'm trying to pickup the bass line from the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KagqypP10Iw

sooo.. what is that, a 12/8 blues in.. uhh G ?

so far , i have picked up like the first 3 or 4 measures when the bass guy starts playing, but at some moment he goes into some strange jazzy style variation and that's where i'm getting lost! .. (and yes, he is playing that bass upside down!)

you may notice Johny also going into some jazzy riff, that's something beyond pentatonics i guess

i'm really lost here, because it is different from a regular bassline blues such as Texas Flood or similar

if someone can provide help or reference to material with tablatures or examples with similar bass line, also please define what is that style., that will be awesome.

it is a bit difficult for me, because im all self taught and im totally lost here, trying to pick up by ear everything

thanks a lot for helping me out

2. These changes are sometimes called the T-Bone Walker changes or the Stormy Monday changes. Basically a set of chord substitutions that fit over a 12 bar blues format. Check out the Allman Brothers version of Stormy Monday on the Live at Fillmore East disc. The changes there are clear and easy to pick out. Search articles on chord substitution, ll-V-l substitutions, etc. Hope this helps.

3. tsol

tsol

Jan 15, 2009
    thanks a lot for bringing in some light on this, i will search for the material you have referenced.

oh, i think i have found something, i wonder if it is the same:

4. Crunktacular

Crunktacular

Jun 26, 2008
    Memphis, TN
    This book has that song and other versions of slow blues. It covers the blues bass basics very well. It has sheet music, tab, and a play along CD. The songs covered in it are blues standards that are played at nearly every Blues Jam on Earth.

I have had it for over 6 months and still working through the lessons. I highly recommend it.

ISBN: 0634089358

5. tsol

tsol

Jan 15, 2009
    hi , thanks for your input

i just got that book today!

and also i picked up this one, much more helpful:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0793586682/ref=nosim/findthelowesb-21

it definitely helped solving some blues bass "mysteries" finally!

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Lots of whole notes!!

7. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Try this link.
    You might get something from it.

8. Here's a 'Playskool' chart I made of it. I'm an 'ear' player so I don't know the proper chord names. There are various methods used to walk from one chord to the next, listen to the horns/keys-they pretty much spell it out.
    Johnnyguit.

9. tsol

tsol

Jan 15, 2009
    thanks for help

i think im done, but i had to cheat! (using an audio to midi recognition software, then see the notes played on the screen)

so here is that bass line i have replayed and recorded

let me know

10. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    You got it, and don't consider technology cheating, you were smart enough to use it and got the result you wanted. Now thats clever thinking in my book.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    What system/software did you use for the midi conversion?

12. svtscruggs

svtscruggs

Mar 18, 2006
    nashville, tn
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg Amps, Fender and Music Man basses
    ha...g major with a flat 6...

13. svtscruggs

svtscruggs

Mar 18, 2006
    nashville, tn
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg Amps, Fender and Music Man basses
    or play a b minor over a G