1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slow country jam track in GMajor

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by germ_77, Jan 27, 2012.

1. germ_77

germ_77

Jul 16, 2011
    Hey I just threw a jam track I use a lot for practicing different rythms and arpeggios on Youtube so I can use it when at the girlfriends place so if anyone wants it go nuts.

Its a really simple progression with just a guitar strumming and a steel guitar wanking over top of it.

I am going to be posting a bunch of other keys for the same progression and a bunch of other progressions soon so if anyone doesnt have a good program for backing tracks have at them.

(They arent that good by any means, I just find them really easy to practice on and if you actually want a sound file of it just rip it off youtube or send me a message and I can send you one).

Slow country backing track for Bass in G Major - YouTube

2. Nice...was actually just working on some of this tonight...keep us posted on other progressions and backing tracks. On a side note, do you mainly root-fifth over them or what do you like to use for practice?

3. germ_77

germ_77

Jul 16, 2011
    I have been using this for not just country bass practice, I just like the sound of the steel guitar on it.

Lately I have been trying to work on my triads and arpeggios as well as really trying to focus on my rhythm.

For the last while majority of the practice I have been doing over it is just straight timing, I made a few sheets of different rythms ranging from 1 bar to 4 bars and will go through it practicing each one for a few minutes each.

Examples, all quarter notes, all 1/8th notes, 1/4 then 6 1/8th notes, etc, etc, I will start adding quarter rests and 1/8th rests over time. I really need to work on my timing and different rythms so I have been spending a lot of time on this part playing just the roots along with it.

Then I usually start doing straight root-fifths as half notes, then as quarter notes, then just on the 1 and 3 beat, then just on the 2 and 4 beat and whatever various rythms using only root and fifth.

Then more or less the same thing using root-3rd-fifth.

I have been trying to write out the patterns before hand to make sure I play them exactly each time, then I will just improv lines over it using root-3rd-fifth.

Once I am a lot more comfortable with that I plan on starting to do the same thing with the 7th chords (which I am horrible with and really need to learn).

I will try making a few more tracks of the same progression in different keys soon.

As well if anyone has other ideas than what I listed above for my practice routine I would love to hear them.