1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slow Down Software

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LowDown Hal, Sep 15, 2008.

1. I'm taking a guess that this is the right forum?

It's time I start trying to transpose on my own.

I see
    - Amazing Slow Downer
    - Riffster
    - Transcribe
    - the TASCAM Trainers

I'm sure there are more. Who uses what to slow down the song, and what do you like about it vs. the others?

THANKS

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I use Amazing Slowdowner and the Tascam Bass Trainer. Both are great. I use ASD when I'm too lazy to pull the bass trainer out of the closet. If I have an MP3 on my iPod or on a disc, I'll use the trainer. If I download something I'll just fire up ASD on my computer. Both work great and are well worth the price, in my opinion.

Also, I just bought MidiLogic. It cost $15US and works like ASD, but only pays Midi files. They have a bunch of tutorials on YouTube. What I especially like is that it can generate real-time TABs. But I guess since you want to transcribe your own songs you won't need that functionality. But it's there nonetheless.

I haven't tried the others you mentioned.

3. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

Tascam Bass Trainer at home (for earphones).
    ASD at our practice space (computer into PA).

4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
  5. mantelclock

mantelclock

Jul 19, 2005
    ASD - great sound at extreme slow tempos. Saves different file formats. Really simple to learn user interface. I used to have an expensive Marrantz slow down player and ASD at $50 runs circles around it.

6. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Download a free copy of Audacity, open the mp3 you want to practice, and then use the "change tempo" effect to slow the song down without changing the pitch. Save an mp3 copy and start practicing!

7. MikeyH

MikeyH

Dec 28, 2011
    After checking out many, I ended up going with Song Surgeon after giving their demo a whirl. I liked it best because it's user-friendly like Cool Edit or Pro Tools, plus I cop a lotta stuff from YouTube and the SS software downloads from YT directly.

I refuse to buy anything online unless they give a money back guarantee...SS has 90 days, no questions.

But no matter what brand you find best suits you, definitely spring the scratch for a slow-downer program because it'll rocket your playing forward by leaps and bounds!

Song Surgeon demo, check it... Song Surgeon

8. rickl289

rickl289

Jun 17, 2009
    minnetonka, mn
  9. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    I tried a demo of transcribe and ASD and transcribe was much better IMHO.

10. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    Windows Media Player is all i need! It's the best app on my computer for practice.