Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slow Wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chace90, May 5, 2002.

1. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Ok, so I got my bass about a month ago and it played fine. It's a Fender American Jazz Deluxe in case anyone is wondering. But after three weeks or so the G string broke. So I figured, "Hey, cheap factory strings, ok." So I put on a set of D'Addario Slow wounds .045 - .100. They've been on for less than two weeks and I just broke the G string again. Wasn't even playing, just pushing it aside a bit to clean off the dust underneath the strings. It just snapped. Both times it has been near the bridge or right on it. Is there something wrong or am I getting defective strings? I do want to switch to .040 - .095 strings and I guess this is an excuse. I just need to know that it's not my bass causing the problem. Any suggestions of what may be wrong or if it's the strings or what.

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Check to see if your bass has a small metal bur on the bridge. That could be causing the string to break. You could probably take it to the store you bought it from and have them check it out, They’ll know what to look for.

3. This could very likely be the problem. Also your playing style can cause the strings to break, if you play too hard. Do you use a pick, that could have a little defect in the end of it that is cutting the string? Do you yank the G-string four inches off the bass when you slap? These could have broken the string earlier. The string might have broken already, but pushing it to the side could have been the straw that broke the camels back. Just be lucky you werent inspecting the bridge at close range or you would have been this guy ->;)

I also highly doubt that your problem was the strings themselves. I have had D'addario Slowounds on my 4-string for almost eight months now without a break. I dont play it that often truthfully, but it has lost the original shine that the slowounds are known for. I am betting the problem is the bass, or your playing style.

4. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    I had a similar problem with a Curbow 4 string i have...

The problem is most likely with the bridge, and like someone mentioned it could be a bur, or anything sharp that you think could be an abrasion to the string.

All i did was file down the bridge a little bit and i havent had the problem.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    High action might be the cause. I play with high action on my basses, and it has caused the string to break at the bridge. Its probably because of the high angle the string makes over the bridge and the higher tension.

Peace
    Nick

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got Slowounds on all of my basses. I did break the D string on my Peavey Millennium Plus that is strung throught the body. You probably have you Jazz strung the same way, right?

I was actually stretching the strings on mine becasue it was a brand new set when it happened. I replaced the string and I haven't had any problems since. I also have an American Jazz Deluxe and there have been no problems with it. Freak occurence most likely but do check your hardware to make sure that it's nice and smooth.

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    An actual file can leave burs in the area that you're working on. My luthier suggested using a fine sandpaper. I can't remember the specs right now but it does a much better job. It takes a little longer but in the long run it's worth it.