'Slower-setting' glue

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassteban, Jul 22, 2005.

1. I read nearly all the threads on glue, & drying time was not really addressed. Here's my deal: I've pretty much completely shaped/carved the neck shaft, headstock & fingerboard for an EUB prior to gluing it all together. :rollno: I know- IDIOT- I'll know better next time. My question now is: Is there a(fairly)slow-setting glue that would make it a bit easier to position clamps before it sets up? :help: BTW I'm in NorCal, so it's hot right now- perhaps I should just wait until it cools down a bit? Thanks.
  2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    just read the labels when you go to buy it. Nearly all glue types will say on the label how much "working time" you have. Some glues even come in several different set times.
  3. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    A good wood glue (a la Titebond or one of it's variations) should give you plenty of time to work. In my experience I've been able to lay down the glue, spread it out extensively with a scrap of wood, position my pieces, and clamp without any fear of the glue setting up before I'm done.

Another helpful thing could be to use some sort of alignment pegs so that when you actually get to the glue stage everything just drops into place. I usually use couple brad nails tapped into one piece around 1/4" and cut off near the surface. The parts can then be lined up, pressed together to give marks to work by, and then glued.

To help with lining up the fingerboard you could try some long zip ties. By wrapping them around the neck and the fingerboard together they should line up the edges and make clamping a bit easier. Just a thought.

4. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    Try setting the neck with the fingerboard on and the drill two 1/16" holes directly through the third and 13 fret on opposite sides of the truss rod slot. Dont go too far or else you will go through the neck. Use two drill bits as posts to set the fingerboard so it won't sway off center.
    If you don't understand my directions pm me and i will explain.