slowing down a part to practice to?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by grouse789, Jan 22, 2009.

1. grouse789

grouse789 Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Westchester NY
    this may not be the correct forum, but, what can I use out there to slow some songs down. I basically want to practice some fast parts, but need them a bit slower in order to nail them right. Thank you for any advice.

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I use audacity. Free and works on Windows, Linux, and Macs.

3. a metronome

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Tascam Bass Trainer!!! Best practice device I have ever used.

5. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    Check out "The Amazing Slow Downer". Google it, I think the download is about $50. Well worth the price.

6. iamthebassplayr

iamthebassplayr Gold Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
  7. Messiah25

Messiah25

Mar 10, 2007
    Israel
    +100 on this one

VERY Well worth the price

8. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Te Tascam Bass Trainer is a great tool. I'd highly recommend it.

Amazing Slow Downer works great and doesn't cost a lot if you're looking for a software-based solution.

9. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    On a little different note - I slow down midi files with Cakewalk. I actually did this with YYZ.

10. ThunderV

ThunderV Is getting yelled at by his cat!!

Mar 26, 2007
    Brunswick, OH
    Like mentioned above, the tascam bass trainer is a fantastic device. Slowdown feature is awesome as well as altering the pitch of a song to avoid having to constantly re-tune. Even though the onboard tuner works perfectly. Good onboard metronome as well.

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I used to use the Tascam Bass Trainer and loved it.

12. Another vote for the Tascam Bass Trainer. In addition to slowing down a piece in increments, you can also loop - either an entire track, or just the part of the track you need to work on (at least with the Mark II, I don't know about the 1st model - plus, I use the CD model, not the MP3 model.) We're even using it with a line into a stereo when I'm practicing with the drummer I'm working with.

13. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    AmpegSVX will do this as well.

14. i do it with logic. slow it down 10-20% and EQ the rest of the song out.

15. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    And Another :D

16. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
  17. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    +1. I use this, and I also have the Tascam MP3 Bass Trainer. Amazing Slow Downer is FAR, FAR superior in it's ability to slow down tracks to stupidly slow tempos yet still sound pretty normal. The Tascam works but it's sounds much more choppy at anything more than a few clicks down, and it won't go to near the extremes that ASD does.

They both have pros and cons.

ASD: It's easy to adjust your loop points so that you can make a portion of a song loop without breaking rhythm so that you can play a section repeatedly until you nail it. Works with MP3's or CD's. Has EQ options to take out low end, boost it, etc. Having a software window open with a bunch of sliders makes it easy to make adjustments. Hitting the space bar pauses, then hitting it again continues. Simple to use. The con of course is that it requires you be at a computer to use it.

Tascam: Most of the same features as above, but since it's on a little device they aren't as easy to get to. Once you get used to using it, you can fly through things pretty quickly. Sound quality of slowing down tracks is very inferior to ASD. The attractivness of the Tascam is it's portability. I use it more than ASD for that reason alone. I have small children in the house, so practicing after 8 p.m. requires I use headphones. I load up songs on the Tascam and let it run. I have a bunch of instructional books with accompanying CD's that I've ripped to MP3 and placed in folders on the Tascam. I can grab the book, plug in my bass and headphones, and I can go through different sections very quickly. If I didn't have kids and could practice without headphones, I wouldn't need the Tascam at all. But as it is this thing has been wonderful.

18. damon106

damon106

May 21, 2007
    NJ
    yeah ! what he said !:cool:

19. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego
    I also use the Tascam to learn parts. The loop and slowdown functions are the best. I also use it to practice along with songs, both from band practice recordings and from the original artists recordings. I can repeat them as many times as I want and don't distrub/drive crazy the wife and kids.

20. +1 Tascam Bass Trainer.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021