Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slowing It Down!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bruce Sproston, Mar 3, 2006.

1. I'm taking weekly lessons with the first 15 minutes devoted to theory. The 2nd half is devoted to teaching me to play along to some of my favourite recordings on a cd. The cd player that I use has only one speed and if I'm trying to learn a difficult part of a song, I must keep starting the entire song over-and over-and over again to eventually learn the difficult part. After doing this numerous times, I don't want to hear the song again for a few days. I dropped in to our local Radio Shack (The Source) and they told me that they had nothing that would do the job. Do any of you have cd players or other equipment that allow you to repeat just a section of a song so that you can master the difficult parts?

2. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
  3. Thanks, Herman! A store in Nanaimo, BC has one for $ 225.00 (adaptor extra) so I will probably but it unless someone out there thinks I'm being overcharged.

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    If playing along to your PC is an option, check past threads. There are free programs for looping and slowing. I can't remember the other names cited, but I use Audacity.
    Totally free and works great.
    You can also use it to transpose a song to a different key.
    Did I mention free?

5. Thanks, Frank! I downloaded the Audacity program this morning and will give it a try.

6. If your on a PC, you can use Windows Media Player 10.0 to slow the song down.

Go to Now Playing options
    Enhancements
    Play Speed Settings

Enjoy

7. +1! Just rip the songs you want and you're all set.

Paul Mac

8. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Bruce -

There is a piece of software out there which is designed SPECIFICALLY for this purpose. It's called "The Amazing Slow-Downer." I bought it several months ago and it works like a charm!

It costs $40 and you can purchase it via the web. Here's a link where you can learn more: http://www.ronimusic.com/

9. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
  10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Good post. I forgot about that. I was very surprised recently to see a speed feature in WMP. Excellent addition.
    Now they need to add a looper. :)