Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slowound 6 review

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Cornbread, Mar 3, 2001.

1. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I just got a set of SW2000-6 from JustStrings (I travelled to Nashua rather than order over the web). So far I'm very happy with them. I can't remember how the XL's sounded when I first put got them, but the slowounds sound very clear and bright. The B string actually fits in the saddle because it's tapered, and it also sounds much more defined than the XL's B string. The strings have a great slap sound, but I don't know how long that'll last. I have to record something so that I can compare the sound after they've been on for a while.

2. Cornbread, I've got Slowounds on my sixer, and I love 'em too. The best strings I've ever used. I've had them on since before Christmas, and they still sound good. The B is great, works well on my 34" scale. I have got a set of TI Flats on order, not because of any dissatisfaction with the Slows, but they get such good reviews I'm curious.

3. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Marty, I had TI Flats on my 4 string and they sounded pretty good for finger-funk and old-school types of stuff. But they didn't really have much versatility with that bass (P-bass copy). I wouldn't use them on my 6 because I can do more with roundwounds, and I can approximate the flatwound sound by fiddling with the EQ.
    Right now I can definitely tell a difference between the Slowounds and XL170's that I had before. The Slowounds even feel a little smoother. The overtones are really clear too. I'm a believer!

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes I used the same set on my Yamaha TRB6P and I have found them to be the best strings overall that I have ever found - you can find lots of threads around here, where I have mentioned this before - I also gave a set to a UK Jazz pro who really liked them.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm gonna give the SW 6 a chance on my '98 Alembic Epic despite the fact that the 4 set I used on my '98 AmStndJazz were the worst sounding strings I've ever tried. Possibly a bad set, dunno. Dull, lifeless and the silks came undone.

6. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    I just put a set of slowounds on my 6 also. My bass has a 35" scale, so i had to remove about a centimeter of silk from each string with a knife. They are working fine now, and are the best set of strings i've ever tried on this bass. I wish that they color coded the ball ends instead of the silk though, because in my opinion, it looks stupid.

7. I think you can get extra long scale in a 5, dunno about the 6 though.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - you want "Super Long" sets for 35" - you could always get a 5 set and D'Addario sell individual strings as well.

9. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I had Slowounds on my five for awhile. Probably the best roundwound I have tried.

10. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Are the slow wounds smooth like a flat wound?

I have a TRP-6P also, still with the factory round wounds and it sounds raspy as heck. I want something warmer and smoother but still decent for the occasional slap.

Are the slow wounds what I need?

11. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    The slowounds aren't flat, but they feel smoother than steel roundwounds. IMO, flatwounds won't be as versatile as you want, especially if you want to slap. Check out the slowounds; you can't go wrong. And you can get your money back if you don't like them.

12. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Slowwounds....hmmmm...maybe

I want the closest things to flats without actually being a flat wound string.

I want a little ring but not the raspy harshness of a full round wound.

13. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Try a set of halfrounds. They're roundrounds with the string slightly "flattened". Smoother feel than rounds with most of the same sonic characteristics.

14. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I will give them a try. Who makes the best ones?