Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slowound discontinued

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by barroso, Sep 16, 2004.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
  2. New news for me too. Does anybody have any recommendations for another type or brand of bass strings that come with a tapered B? I don't mind the standard XLs (I've used them on my Warmoth 4 for years), but I don't know if D'Addario packages a set with a tapered B.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Slowound orphans, which strings do you play nowadays?

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Looking...

5. Dean Markley Blue Steels, 50-128. To me they have the same punch, warmth and almost singing highs as SWs. I allways missed a little brightness in the SWs, so the stainless steel Dean Markleys come in handy without being to bright. A lot of former SW users have tried DR Lo-Riders Nickel with great succes. DR Fat-Beams has some of the same mid-range as SWs but misses the punch and depth.

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Thomastik-Infeld Super Alloys reminded me of Slowounds, but I think the TIs have a little higher tension.

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I am giving Labella Deep Talking round a try... we'll see.

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    D'Addario didn';t discontinue Slowounds, per se...

Current XL's ARE slowounds...

Slowounds were made by a proprietary process, that D'Addario uses on all their strtings now.. they decided there was no reason to have 2 separate lines.. As they are customer-centric, they discontinued the more expensive line.

ProSteels are nice, too... that's what I use on my 5-string

9. Well, XL's might be made from the same materials at same gauges, and the slow winding process might be redundant on daddarios new machines BUT XL's still doesn't SOUND like Slowounds. They're good in their own way though.

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Ain't that the truth! :)

I'm still playing Slowounds. I stocked up before they disappeared. ;)

11. i wish to god i hadnt been poor when they were discontinued! :bawl:

I tried Blue Steels... but they didnt have the harmonics i wanted.
    I tried DR Lo-Riders, good on the Grabber, punchy and rocky, but took ages to sound great.. then my E snapped, and the A and G are dying...
    I tried Slinkys but I hate them. all four sound like crap to me and my G has a dent in it.

So, finally! I have money. Gunna try a set of EXL's of the G3 and a set of XL's on the G. :hyper:

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Slow wounds can still be found in some of your bigger stores that stocked them at one time. i bought a few sets from Sam Ash a month or so ago. I ask by buddy the bass rep what was the price, he scanned it and told me $12 bucks! grabbed a few sets! This week I walk into Manny's on 48st and they had a bunch of slow wounds on the shelf, I ask how much $12 bucks? the guy look's at me like i'm a joker and scans the package, he look's at me with suprise and say's "$9 buck's" :) I politely tell him to give me two set's and thank you very much! :) :) :) now I have four brand new sets and I've just strung 3 basses with the others! If I go back I will pick up another couple of sets!

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    They can be foudn but finding the right guage and scale length can be a problem. I use the SW2000 4SL & 5SL sets. Haven't seen much of them recently but I have seen them in the Long Scale sets.

14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    which strings are you using slowound orphans?

15. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    XL. Same materials, only as the man said above, the process of improved machine winding on all their strings made the Slowound label redundant.

16. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I'll be honest.
    Tried several strings.

Yet to find something I like as I did with the Slowound....

17. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I switched to DR Black Beauties (on my black MTD KZX Ltd.) and Dean Markley Randy Jackson Alchemy Strings (on my amber stained MTD KZ). Both are great strings, the Black Beauties are more "laid back" and I can get a really growley jazz bass like sound out of my Z5 with the Alchemys.

Still, the Slowounds were golden on my old Spectors...

18. david fitch

david fitch

Feb 20, 2007
    A Pawn Shop here in town still has one set of D'Addario Slowounds and I am suprized they are still on the self. The guy said he would give them to me for ten bucks but I said 'No". I really can't tell the differance between the XL Nickels and the old Slowounds.

19. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Unless things have changed, the B on the Slowounds was tapered, and not so on the XLs.

I'd buy those strings and put them on the market at a profit...may be worth it!

----------------
    Now playing: Hillsongs - So Close (I Believe)
    via FoxyTunes

20. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Amazing how slow the transformation of information is in the age of duh internut. Because D'Addario has had tapered B strings in a variety of gauges for many many many nanoseconds. Order 4-string sets and add the B yourself. You can even order directly off of D'Addario's website in nanonanonano --