Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slowound strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Davo737, Sep 27, 2000.

1. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Has anyone had experience with D'addario's slowound nickel strings?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes!

So what's the question? :rolleyes:

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    ...and what's the answer, Bruce?
    In my opinion slowounds or cryogenics don't have remarkable differences or advantages from other strings other than the usual differences when you compare different brands.
    Strings are too much a matter of personal preference to give general advice.
    Try them for yourself, that's the only reasonable advice one can give.

4. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    I agree, I've tried Slowounds and actually found that D'Addario XL last longer and sounded brighter out of the package. Plus they are much cheaper too! Right now at Just strings you can get twin packs of XL's for $23.83!! That's about $12 a set.

5. Bruce Lindfield

I have found D'Addario SlowWounds to be the best strings I have ever played and have even given a few sets away to people who have been amazed at what a difference they make. I tried them becausethey were the most expensive you could buy in the UK, but I was amazed at how good they were. I have bought new basses a couple of time over the last year and in each case have noticed a substantial improvement in the sound when I have taken the fitted strings off and put on a set of SlowWounds.

I have also found they last considerably longer than any other sets I have tried. Over 20 years of playing bass I have changed brands of strings many times and have been used to changing the strings every month or so. But since I discovered SlowWounds about 2-3 years ago, I now find that after 6 months they still sound good, if not better - they are usually slightly too bright for me when I first put them on.

I'm not sure about your comments though JMX - as far as I was aware, only D'Addario make "SlowWounds" whereas "cryogenic" is something very different and more of a generic term, that is nothing to do with the way that SlowWounds are made?

6. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Bruce,

What's is your opinion of the standard XL D'Addario sets (if you've ever used them)? Like I said in my earlier post, I've tried Slowounds and found them to be average at best. XL seemed to be brighter out of the pack and stay that way longer IMO.

[Edited by rsautrey on 09-29-2000 at 09:11 AM]

7. Bruce Lindfield

No, I've never tried XLs - my method of buying strings is to go for the most expensive sets that I can find; as to me all strings seem pretty cheap compared with the price of a bass. The most expensive set I've ever bought is less than one fiftieth of the average price of my basses.

But it may be a personal preference thing - you haven't filled out your profile, so I can't tell what type of music your're playing or what bass you use. I think the SlowWounds are very good for Jazzy/Funky stuff, but I have no idea if they would be any good for heavy metal, for example.

I have used SlowWounds on Yamaha TRB6P, Fender RB5 and Tobias Classic 5, with excellent results - I also gave a used set to someone who plays a Ken Smith 6 string and he also agreed that my used set was the best set he had every had - and he is a Jazz pro, who doubles on upright and has played professionally for many years on the UK Jazz circuit. He kept them on for an album he was recording at the time.

8. I'm also a big fan of the Slowounds. I use them on my Sadowsky PJ5 and have previously used them on a Tobias Classic V I used to own. I love the feel of them under my fingers (they seem almost "polished") and the warm, earthy tone. They also last a LONG time.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - this just how I feel about them as well. I noticed that in BP, Oteil Burbridge is now endorsing these strings as well.

10. Nice strings, highly recommended.

Bert

11. I'm with Bruce on this, they are nice strings, if you can handle the price. The upside is, they seem to me to last a long time, even when they start dying they still sound quite good.