Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slowounds discontinued!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by carl-anton, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Hi guys.
    As some of you may have noticed, I've had some problems with my Slowounds lately. I wrote to D'addario about my troubles, and I got a very kind response telling me, that they would be glad to replace my set, but they had to send me XL's, because they have stopped making Slowounds this month. :eek: D'addario thinks that difference between XL's and Slowounds are too small. The to strings are made from the same materials using the same winding machines, so there shouldn't be so big a difference. I can't personally remember how XL's sound, since I only tried one set 4 years ago, so I'm looking foreward to try them out.
    I'm not shure I understand the decision fully because it's such good strings, and it seem that so many like them, but then again only one shop out of 5 in my area has them. Maybe they just didn't sell enough.
    But I guess it's still bad news for all you Slowound fans, no matter what. :meh: :bawl:

2. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    XL's are thinner sounding to these ears. This really sux IMO. I have been using Slowounds for a few moths now and I like em a lot. Now I have to go out and spend a bunch of money I don't have, trying out strings until I find a good replacement. Lame.

3. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, it's true. No more Slowounds will be made.

Tom

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, the only reason i used them was for the pretty silks, so...man, this really sux

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Those are def the best strings they make!

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    That SUX!!!

I'll have to order a bunch when I get to the store on Monday and stockpile them. Thanks for the heads up!!!

7. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I placed an order with D'Addario about 10 days ago. I thought it was odd that the 5 string Slowounds I ordered were backordered; D'Addario rarely backorders stuff. I got a follow-up phone call with the bad news. Sigh.......

Tom

8. NOooo!!!! :bawl:

While I have 2 sets left, meaning I can last another year without changing them... this sucks!

Ive ordered some DRs, hopefully they will do it for me, as the deans didnt...

if they put silk on the XLs, I won't be too peaved, but, ugh. :(

9. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Man when you finally find something you like...:rolleyes:

I guess I'll have to play SIT powerwound steels.
    sh!t

10. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    Arghh!!
    This has really wrecked my day! I tried lots of strings to find Slowounds - i was content to never try another string as I had found 'my' string.

What are you guys who currently use Slowounds going to use now?

Are Ken Smith Burners a compariable string? I loved the string to string consistency and ultra long life of the Slowounds.

Slowounds RIP :bawl:

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Good question.

I've got slowounds on all my Basses, and wasnt planning on using anything else.

This sucks!!

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Wow! Bummer. Oh well, there's a number of other excellent strings on the market. Gonna miss those mult-colored silks, tho! ;)

13. for me, I'm gunna try DR's... a set of hi-beams and lo-beams... and my last set of slowounds are on the way... ;)

and i guess i'll try XL's again, but I always had nothing but bad luck with them...

does anyone know if d'addario are just gunna make the XL's with the same build quality as the slowound? :meh: or maybe it just me who has no luck with them... ;)

15. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    Well I got a brand new set of XL's sitting here from when I was trying out different strings. I loved them on my Musicman but just don't do it for me with my current warwick. I too will be looking at DR nickel. I am asuming the lo-riders will be more on par with the slowounds than the Sunbeams? I'll do a bit of a search on tb for some threads on DR's.
    Only thing is I will have to specifically order a tapered b with the DR's to fit my Warwick - argh I'm missing the Slowounds already!

16. Like Smash said Ernie Ball Slinkies are close to the Slowounds - maybe missing a little life or detail. I'm guessing the nickel Lo-Riders will be close too. I'm gonna start with the XL's I have on the way, then some Sunbeams I have lying around. Would like to hear some comparisons between the nickel lo-riders and SW's. Please post if you got any info.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I just ordered some Slowounds from :

http://www.bassguitarstrings.us/

I'll see what happens!!

They are my favourite strinsg as well and I have never found any that sound quite as good, after many years of searching!!

18. If I'm not mistaking Tappel is one of the guys from bassguitarstrings.us. So I guess you're out of luck Bruce. Actually I thought about you when I got the news, since you use to praise these strings. Any ideas what you're gonna play now?

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've no idea!! I thought Zon and Thomastik Jazz were pretty good - but in side-by-side comparison - they sounded "thinner" than Slowounds - as people have said .

I may never buy any strings again for two reasons :

I am more and more coming round to playing EUB or DB only - I play my EUB far more than BG now.

Secondly - I am coming round to liking the way Slowounds sound as they get older - I've kept loads of old sets and I may just leave the ones I have got on my BGs and only replace any, if they break!!

20. this is just constant pain for us, eh bruce! ;)

your right about slowounds really taking time to settle in, but I;ve had a set on for 10months and the harmonics are dying out now...