Slowounds or Sunbeams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by carl-anton, Sep 8, 2002.

1. I'm having my bass set up in a weeks time, but I haven't settled on which strings to choose. What's your opinion on Slowounds compared to Sunbeams? And do Sunbeams sound anyway near to Hi-beams (could they be the perfect mix of Hi-beams and Slowounds?)

Thanks! :)
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I went from Slowounds to Sunbeams years ago.

FME, did not last too long(became dull or BROKE).

Sunbeams, FME, do last.
    I'm not too thrilled with S/S(feels "sticky") so I can't really comment on how the NICKEL Sunbeams compare to the S/S Hi-Beams.

I would only add-
    I was using 0.40-0.60-.080-0.100.
    With DRs, I would say pump up the "G" to a 0.45 & maybe the "D" up to a 0.65.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I tried Slowounds, didn't like them. I'm using Nickel Sunbeams on two basses, an Elrick NJS fretless 5 and an MTD 635 6 string. The sound great on both and surprisingly different on both basses. VEry warm on the fretless, prototypical US MTD sound on the 635. Somehow both of these basses retain their character while using the same strings..

I'm using a .125 to .040 on the fretless and .125 to .030 on the 6 string. They seem to last a long time too but most of my strings do. I'm playing a pretty wide variety of music, I play fingerstyle and slap.
  4. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Its been a while since I've used either, but preferred the slowounds by a significant amount. The sunbeams had a nice tension, but felt very coarse to my fingers and seemed to go dead faster than any string I've ever played. The slowounds seemed to last quite a while, and were much easier on my fingers. Both had nice full sounds, though.
  5. Hi Carl-Anton,

I've got no experience with the Slowwound but here's my 2 cent about the Sunbeam vs Hi-Beam.

I recently went from Hi-Beams to Sunbeam. The Sunbeam sound fuller and warmer than the Hi-Beam. They are not as bright as the Hi-Beam but are considered bright for nickel. I find them versatile as they slap ok and still sounds rather full when playing with finger. I don't play with a pick so I don't know how they compare.

I don't know if it's me but I'd say the Sunbeam are a little stiffer than the Hi-Beam. Even with that perceive higher tension I find them softer on the finger.

Depending on what you play I'd also look at Fat-Beams. These are definitively the next ones I'll try.

Hope this help!
  6. Thanks guys.
    I've A-B'ed the slowounds against the hi-beams and found that the hi-beams has a very wide freq. response. It goes alot deeper than the slowounds, but hasn't got as much mid lowend as the SW. In a way I feel the hi-beams sound more 'neutral' and 'open' than the sw's which has this kind of closed middy sound. I begin to suspect that the 'closed' midrange sound is due to the nickel, were as ss has a more open sound, that I like.

BTW, for me theres practically no differrence in how nickel and ss feels. At least when it's DR ss.

An Brad, reading your post made me realise that a string that brings out your bass's character is precisely what I'm after. It's the goal I've set for my amp and speakers. In the end I want equipment that conveys my character, instead of it's own. So thank you for making me realise that I need a 'neutral' string!
  7. It's been a while since I've used Slowounds, but I LOVE Sunbeams! They play nice and have a real nice sound. Give SIT Powerwounds a try as well. I think they compare nicely with DR Sunbeams, and they're more affordable at .