Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slowounds, whaauu!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by carl-anton, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Hi guys!

Got this set of D'Daddario Slowounds cheap and they're just great. I've played the bass for some 14 years but never gave much thought to strings before now. Met this guy who's starting his own business and want's me to test some strings so he knows what to take home, and these really are recommendable. They're nickel so they're not so bright as steels, and thats good for my stringray. But the best thing is that they're really even sounding. Both string to string, but also with overtones (do you call it that?). Its a really focused and balanced sound that comes from them.
    By the way they also got a tapered b-string. Dunno if there's so much of a diffence. Atleast not overtonewise as I thought.

Only problem: twice as pricy as the cheap ones I can get (and with a loud drummer, singer and a insane guitarist its pret -ty hard to spot the difference!), and they look really lame. D'Darrios reduced packaging stunt led them to make each string have its own coloured wrap at the head-end. Now my fine black Stringray5 looks like a kids toy! I wish they would do different ball-end colours instead.

Well, just wanted to recommend these fine strings. If you got the dough, try them!

(Next up, I'm trying the XL's but they were sold out this time)

Lars

2. i've heard these strings are pretty mellow (in the good sense). Is it true?

3. Yeah, if you by 'mellow' mean 'with no harsh edges' its true. And they're more so than other nickel strings I tried. They're not 'boring', just very balanced.

4. I have a set of these strings on my Ibanez. They are very balanced and I guess you could call them mellow, but I'm more of a flatwound guy myself. I paid $24.00 for them, so they're about average in price. To me, I think most of us don't notice roundwouds when they sound good, only when they're too bright, or dead.

Mike J.

5. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    For me, the standard nickelplated XL sounds better and lasts longer than Slowounds. Plus, they don't have those ugly silk wraps!! Another thing is that the standard long scale XL sets work for string through body but Slowounds have to be super long scale for that because the silks end up in the nut. Twin packs of D'Addario XL are for sale at juststrings.com for $22.

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    hey carl-anton couldnt you just color them black with a magic marker or somthing?

7. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    You might want to give their XL's a try.Ive never tried the slow's but from what ive heard theres not much difference in tone.Theres no wrap on either end but the ball end's have that color code for folks that cant tell a G from an E.JEEEEZZZ!!!Good luck!

8. I'm Looking forward to trying the XL's. Do they come with a tapered b-string as well? And for the colour codes: If you happen to put on a d-string instead of an a-string and don't notice it when you start playing, well - maybe you should quit! :)

9. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    You'll have to check their site at to tapered or not on 5's and up.Im only familiar with their 4 string sets which are not tapered.Good luck!

10. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    The XL's aren't tapered, but you can buy a tapered B separately, I think. BTW, I like the slowounds a lot more than the XL's. Try them out for yourself though; you might think differently.

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I had bad luck with the B-string in my XL set - sounded a bit muffled and dull right out of the pack. And no, it's not my bass (the strings I had on it earlier, the overall crappy Warwick Red Label, had a great B).
    The other four XL strings are smokin', though. Love 'em! :)

12. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    That's interesting because I had the same experience. When I switched to slowounds, I noticed a big improvement in B string clarity.

13. Besides the Slowound b-string, a XL b-string is the only clear and crispy b-string I've tried. (I've tried DR hi beams, Ernie Balls (he he), Carl Martin, Warwicks etc.) I guess b-strings just are dead sometimes. You just have to say your prayers.

14. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Well, I've had these slowounds on for about 6 weeks, and they're pretty much dead. They sound quite crappy compared to the "new" sound. Maybe I'll try some WD-40 as a temporary fix....

15. I'm a confirmed Slowound user on my sixer. I've tried most every brand around over the years (it helps that I work in a gear shop!) Not only does it have a good B string, not the best, but pretty good, but I find more expression in Slowounds. Prisms seem to have a tighter B, but I find them a bit expressionless in comparison. I've had my Slows on for 3 months now and I love their slightly worn sound, almost like good flats but without the "thump".

16. Slowounds have failed spectacularly on every bass I have had. Until my current Yamaha, upon which they are the goat's rollerskates.

They have been on for three weeks, and they still sound good. we shall see. I expect 3 months out of any roundwounds.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The main reason I like the Slowounds is the coolness of the multi-colored silks. An extra added feature is that they sound ... yes ... bitchen.

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I gave up on 'em after several dead sets. I'm a D'Addario fan but these strings just didn't do it for me. I tried their 4 and 6 sets and they were just deader than a doornail right out of the package. I don't like the mult-colored silks, either.

19. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    I had two sets of Slowounds that sounded terrible. Mainly the E and A strings. I've never had a bad set of standard XL and they cost much less.

20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    My only gripe about the silks is that if you boil your strings the silk gets all frizzled and then the audience can plainly see I was too cheap to buy new strings. :D Other than that,theyre my favorite string,with the XL's being my second choice.