Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JustOpenYourMind, Mar 9, 2002.

1. I'd like to try new strings, recently i bought a new set of daddario XL's but I find them to have a too much mettalic sound, I'm looking for something warmer maybe the slowounds.

how do you describe those strings (slows)

thanks in advance
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    They can be a love 'em or hate 'em prospect for a lotta players. I didn't love 'em. Dead as a door nail right out the package and I tried two sets on to different occasions. Some guys won't use anything else. To each his own. I like XL's and Prisms, BTW but I want bright.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I tried them on my old MIJ P, and they weren't bad. This particular bass was kind of dark-sounding, so it may not have been the best match-up, but if you want warm-sounding roundwounds, they're probably OK. Mine were not dead like boogiebass's, in fact I thought they were pretty good. I may try them again sometime. They're certainly livelier than something like flats or half-rounds. They just don't have quite the snap of the brightest strings. Maybe that's what you're looking for.
  4. AndersK2

Sep 11, 2000
    They are not so very different from XL´s, in my experience, a little darker maybe.

You should try Thomastik Infeld Jazz Roundwounds, they have a really mellow tone.
    My favorites.
    Not metallic at all. I think that´s due to the silk wrapping over the core.
    Light gauge, but heavy sound.
  5. I've just been rescued from severe GAS by the slowounds! For a long time I though my rig was sounding too hard in the mid-freq. Though I love my bass to growl, this wasn't the way it should sound. So I started trying other amps and cabs, and even condidered replacing my Stingray5 - then I restringed with a set of slowounds... Now, I'm really in love with my tone! It's very even all over the freq-range, with a very sweet and warm sound, with a very 'juicy' mid-range. I love'em!!! So if metallic isn't your game, you should really try these. :cool:
  6. I have a feeling I know the sound your gunning for....

Though they aren't D'Addario, have you tried Dean Markley Blue Steels? I use them for my ballad stuff and the D-Addario's for my Rock and Metal sounds.
  7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Couldnt have said it better myself.
    Ive got Slowounds on all 7 of my Fenders, and I dont see myself using any other strings anytime soon.
  8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    All of my basses wear Slowounds. From your description it sounds like they might be a good match for you and your instrument(s).