Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BDC, Apr 12, 2001.

1. I'm in a slump. I've been playing for a little over a year now. I don't feel any forward momentum. I need some inspiration or something. What do you "VETERANS" do? I'm thinking of trying out some lessons from the local music shop. Is this a good idea? Any advice is welcome
  2. lessons are always a great idea, another is to play with other bass players, take a little break, pick up some music you have never heard before.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hey, BDC, are you playing in a band? If not, it might be the incentive you need to get back on track. Practice is only part of the equation. going out and playing (or even rehearsing in your basement with other people) can give you an entirely different outlook on your instrument and you'll pick up a lot of new skills along the way.

Will C.:cool:
  4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I agree with Big Wheel here. Playing with other musicians always made me feel "different" than when I was playing in my basement by myself. Playing with others (even if it's just in the garage on Saturday afternoon) gave me the inspiration I needed to get more creative and really tighten up my playing style. You don't need to jam with them either, try taking all the neighborhood guitarists out for ice cream and a movie someday.
  5. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i don't know if this is just me, but the kind of bass i play on usually limits my progression .. what kind of bass are you playing on ? at the moment i'm still drilling my Squier to bits and i'm not getting anywhere because i've simply outgrown the thing. when i play on my teacher's Kubicki Factor tho, it's like, wow.
  6. Im the same goodness on any 4 string bass. If you put a 5 or 6 in my hands I just sit there and make a fool of myself.
  7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    My current slump got so bad....that I finally just quit playing. I had slumps when I played trumpet, but nothing that came even close to this one.
    I'm just doing other things right now and maybe one day....something will click and I will start playing again.
    I AM spending more time with my son I guess something good has come from it. :)
  8. ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    That's great. I take my son to band practice with me. During breaks, the drummer lets him bang away on his set. He has a guitar and a set of drums (I can't find a bass small enough for a 6 year old) so when I practice at home, he comes in and "jams" with me sometimes.
  9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It's pretty much all been said but I'll say it again. :)I do a couple of things:

1-Take a break. Just put the bass down for a few days.
    2-Jam w/others
    3-Buy a new bass.

I'm pretty partial to #3. ;)

good luck & don't lose hope!!!!
  10. I play with a band. We get together once a week. We decided to take a couple of weeks off and comeback together after Easter and hopefully feel refreshed. I like the "buy a new bass" idea best though.
  11. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    hey, that's what I do! ;)
  12. TonyS

Dec 13, 1999

Something that has helped me, is to define "My" purpose for playing. It takes a little time and thought, but it's worth the effort. FWIW, motivation is about having goals, and the more realistic they are the more motivational they become. BTW the music lessons are a good idea ... just make sure the instructor is qualified.

Hang in there.
  13. I hear what your saying. I'm 37, and I'm out of that "ROCK STAR" dream. I'm doing this because music is a big part of what makes me ME. I love music, any kind, I love playing music. It takes always takes me to that "good place". Beyond that though, I feel I have to continue to move forward. Our whole band feels they've hit a rut. The few that have been in other bands say it happens all the time and you get through it. It's a first for me and when I started I couldn't see how it could ever happen. I guess I'm I'm going through something a lot of you have seen a few times before. I'm not giving up, no way. It's just, you know, a dose of reality that's hard to swallow at first. Thanks for all your advice