Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sly and Robbie and Black Uhuru@$^&!%&!%&^%#&%$!&^

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Pre EB, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I've had it with them!!! What has happened to those guys AND Black Uhuru?!?!?!? I just bought a CD called "In Dub" with Sly and Robbie with Black Uhuru and it has to be some of the worst stuff I have ever heard in my life. And I've heard a lot of crap in my day! It ain't even reggae. Some BS electronic garbage with NO bass and NO real drums and some freaked out new age type singing on it. I wonder if they put the right CD in the case. A BAD COVER OF THAT STUPID SAILING SONG BY ENYA IS ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: Last year I bought a S&R record that was supposed to be dub style and it sounded like rough mixes stolen from the studio. I've had it with them- $17.23 of my hard earned money absolutely wasted on this garbage. Have they stopped smokin' the weed and turned into white people from North Dallas? I've got to find out what has happened with them. I was just listening to Rythm Killers yesterday and the tunes, although dated, still hit you pretty damn hard with the fatness I miss.
    I hope I can return it for some Laswell. I also saw a King Tubby meets S&R disc there. Oh how good they USED to be.
    :( :confused:

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Actually, it sounds like you did get the wrong CD. The tracks I've heard off "In Dub" are pretty classic heavy dub.

Have you taken your medication yet? :rolleyes:

3. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Sorry about the rant; it just really steamed me that this was so crappy. I've loved them for years and when I heard this (after that last S&R dic- the one that sounded like it was stolen from the studio) I genuinely felt ripped off.
    The disc is labled correctly but, come on, ENYA? Does your copy have that on it?
    I have to admit that I only listened to it up to the enya track. Then I calmly put it away and wondered how I could get my money back.
    Sorry again for freakin the %&^# out.
    Joe

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    So it's complete crap...but you haven't listened to it all yet?

Moved to recordings.

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

This is the reason I go to Amazon.com or to CDNow.com to listen to as many samples as possible before I buy a record anymore. I have been stung too many times with CDs that turned out to be bitter disappointments, even when they are bands that I trusted and enjoyed many times in the past.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm with Brian - I reckon you must have a "counterfeit" CD or just a mistake. Every Sly & Robbie disc I've heard has been great, with fantastic bass/drum tracks - especially the Dub albums.

Also "Black Uhuru" as far as I know, sing songs written by Michael Rose that are basically "worship" songs to the religion of Rastafari - I just don't believe they would do a cover version - Rose is too serious about promoting his faith for that.

I was in Spain at Christmas and there were loads of people selling cheap CDs with legitimate-looking covers, but the travel rep warned us not to buy any, as they were all "countefeit" and it was very likelye that the music on the CD did not correspond to the cover! :(

7. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    "Sail Away" was like track #6. I did listen to the rest and it is NOT S&R! The last song is a folky white girl singing. I'm gonna take it back to Hastings. I hope I can listen to the next copy before I leave the store.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If you want a good Sly & Robbie Black Uhuru dub album....get the 'Dub Factor'! It's the orginal Black Uhuru when Sly & Robbie played thier instruments.

9. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I took it back today and exchanged it for the Laswell translation of Santana. Pretty darn cool! Anyway, we opened another copy of In Dub, and it was the same crap. I think whomever did the pressing mis-marked the discs and they got put in the wrong cases. I would like to hear the correct album, though. If it is what I thought it would be, it has to be killer. I'm also very relieved that Sly and Robbie haven't turned into what was on that disc.
    Sorry for my original rant.........