Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sly & Robbie...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Ben Green, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Ben Green

Ben Green

Jan 11, 2001
    Does anyone know where I can get hold of some Sly & Robbie/ Black Uhuru/ Grace Jones sheet music...? I'm knid of an exploratory tip right now, and thought, their stuff would be good to look into.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated..Websites, shops (London area) etc.

2. blen dem

blen dem Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2001
    USA, Vallejo
    Yo Ben, pick up Black Uhuru Anthology by Island Records. You can't go wrong with that one. Heavy basslines from Mr. Shakespeare with Sly's solid rythyms. If you want albums get Black Uhuru's Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, Red, Live and anything else with Michael Rose....... PEACE!

3. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Good to see a Robbie Shakespeare fan in here. Unfortunately Ben i have not seen any sheet music or even tab for any of the artists you have mentioned. It's best to learn the songs by ear though.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I like "Red" and think's it's probably the best Black Uhuru album - nothing to compare with the experience of seeing them live in my home town though! ;)

I also have a "Dub" album by Sly and Robbie which is great. Also any of the Grace Jones stuff they did is worth a listen.

I don't think there's any written stuff, because the music is essentially very simple, but the rhythmic feel is so great and they usually co-produce as well and get wonderful sounds. You can't really capture this "feel" in notation.

Take for example the track "Nightclubbing" from the Grace Jones album of the same name. Now the bassline just couldn't be any simpler, but the feel of the track is indescribable and the dub atmosphere that Sly and Robbie add to the track is just amazing - if I notated the bassline it would mean very little out of context, but the track itself is so much more than the sum of its parts!

5. blen dem

blen dem Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2001
    USA, Vallejo
    Couldn't agree with you more Bruce, Sly & Robbie is ALL FEEL.... General Penetentiary has one of my favorite Shakespeare lines, it just grooves forever.

Ben, I didn't realize you were askin about sheet music, my bad. The lines are pretty simple, it's the feel that's challenging. PEACE!

6. Ben Green

Ben Green

Jan 11, 2001
    Thank, guys, that's a great help...