1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SM-400 Blew

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowfreqtweak, Mar 25, 2009.

1. lowfreqtweak

lowfreqtweak

Jan 14, 2009
    Finally get my bass back after a couple of weeks in the shop, and I was super excited to jam with my band mates again. Now I always leave my set up at the drummers house since I have no vehicle and even though most of my gear is light, it ain't that light.

Well, I guess someone tweaked with my over drive pedal and turned the gain up all the way. Now when I play through my SM-400 I plug into the high-gain input and usually set the gain on the amp somewhere around two o'clock. So I plug in, start messing around, and after a while I engage the over drive pedal. Most awful high pitched noise I have ever heard spewed out of my cab. Since my guitarist was also setting up I had no idea where the noise was coming from, so I shut off my amp but not before hearing an awful pop.

After isolating the problem, I reset my pedal to how I normally have it, tried to turn my amp back on but nothing happened. So basically my question is what happened to my amp? Is it easily fixed or should I be expecting a check from the GC's warranty company? I really hope it can be fixed because I got a killer deal on the head (only $250.00!) and I know I won't be able to find anything as awesome for that price.

2. Anything can be fixed.

3. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Check the fuses on the back of the amp. There are other fuses inside the amp but don't go there unless you know what you are doing. That pop could possibly be a capacitor or resistor exploding. If the fuses in the back are ok, take it to a tech. To try and diagnose something you can't see or test may make matters worse or downright dangerous. And I wouldn't expect a check from GC.

4. Hi.

Since the SM 400 schematics are readily available You're in luck if something drastic happened.

Personally I think that the speaker fuse blew as a result of the overloading of the input. The dB level must have been awful though if there was enough juice to blow the fuse.

If changing the fuses don't help and if there's even a single chance that the GC warranty system can be used, try it, You have nothing to loose.

Regards
    Sam

5. lowfreqtweak

lowfreqtweak

Jan 14, 2009
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I took out the fuses and it looks like one of the fuses blew. Later today I'm going to buy a replacement and a few spares. I'll let you know how it goes after I replace it. Hopefully that's the only issue.