Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SM 500/400s I/O question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Moote, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I have an SWR sm400s, and have a question regarding people more insightful than I on this topic.

It has high and low outs for running another stereo poweramp for biamping, as well as a stereo effects loop. Could I potentially run from the high and low outs, through different processors, and to the stereo return of the effects loop w/o bypassing any of the preamp/EQ on the head? If so, I could potentially run a 2 channel compressor duel band, but the rest of that belongs in the effects forum ;)

Thanks for any help, Jeff
    :)

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  3. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I did look at the manual, it doesn't say how things are routed inside though. Through a bit of experimentation I found this isn't really possible.

4. Yes. It just has to run in Stereo Mode with the High/Low returning to Left/Right effects return inputs.

5. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Ok, thanks. This essentially means I have to bi-amp to get this to work? What I mean is that if my high return goes to one side and low to the other, and I need it to be in stereo mode, I have to use 2 cabs, and for different ranges. This isn't really what I wanted, as I wanted to bridge into one cab. It's not that important, but if it would work it'd be nice.

6. Ah, yes.
    Why didn't you say so?

You want to split two, do your 'thang processing the low's and high's separately and bring it all back together again to run bridged!

One idea might be to get a A/B box where you can go 2 into 1... BUT it must have isolated I/O's so one doesn't back-up into the other. I think Whirlwind makes something like that.

Anywho, that what my tech told me.