SM-900...900 or 800 watts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thirdeye, Dec 23, 2002.

1. So many adds say the SM-900 is-

800 Watts @ 4 Ohms,bridged
    350 Watts @ 4 Ohms,stereo

and SWR website says-

900 Watts @ 4 Ohms,bridged
    400 Watts @ 4 Ohms,stereo

Are any of these ratings correct??
  2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I just visited the swr web site and copied this from the sm900 page

Bridge/Mono Mode
    900 Watts @ 4 Ohms
    650 Watts @ 8 Ohms
    440 Watts @ 16 Ohms
    (minimum load = 4 Ohms)

Stereo Mode (per side)
    400 watts @ 4 Ohms
    240 watts @ 8 Ohms
    144 watts @ 16 Ohms
    (minimum load = 2 Ohms)
    Looks like it depends on the way you look at it. If you bridge at 4 ohms then its a 900 watt amp. If you go stereo at 4 ohms per side then it's a 800 watt amp. That's what I'm guessing.
  3. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I think at some point they upped the wattage. I was at a Mar's and they had 2 SM-900's and one was
    800 watts bridged and 350w stereo and the other was 900 watts bridged and 400w stereo. They list the wattage on the back at the speaker inputs.
  4. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Bwahahaha (rubbing hands together). I just brought one home this evening. I called one of the guitar players I work with to warn him to be afraid - VERY afraid ;) :D

I've only got one 8 ohm Goliath III cab, so actually it will ONLY pump out 650 watts for now. I've got the cash for a second Goliath (gotta love the Xmas bonus check) if the wife will approve it (she has gotten short shrift as I've collected some cool toys lately, lest anyone think her evil ;) )

Now, can't wait for that New Year's eve gig :D
  5. Awsome!!.....Hows the eq section,what range of tones are getting from it?,I'm particularly interested in the piano setting in the manual.

If I end up with one I will run a PSA-1 thru the pre to get some dirty sounds as well.:cool: