Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sm-900 clipping both pre-amp and output amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soundsyco, May 26, 2005.

1. soundsyco

soundsyco

Jul 30, 2004
    Hi everyone I need some help here this thing is driving me nuts. I have a swr sm-900 and a bass pod pro hooked into the effects loop just for some flavor and a 8x10 madison bass cab. I know that the cab is not the greatest in the world but I am saving my pennies for a golliath III 4x10. Anyhow the cabinet is rated for 1600w rms @ 4ohms. The gain is set at 1/3 the way up and the master volume is set at 1/3 the way up and I am using the combination eq 1&2 when I hit the low b on my bass (ohh the bass is a warwick vampire rockbass 5 string) the preamp clips and the output clips and the amp cuts in and out. what am I doing wrong here. Am I a total idiot. If anyone can help please help me or shoot me and take me out of my misery.

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    First, how are you connecting to the cab? Are you bridging the amp? If so are you using the correct output?

Second, how is your EQ set up? By using both EQ 1 and 2 you are automatically increasing the gain in the preamp stage so if you are adding in a lot of bass you can easily clip the first stage.

Third, check the level of the Pod. The effects loop happens after the pre and before the amp so if the output of the pod is too high you can clip the power amp with even a low gain and master setting.

Fourth, relax, it's probably going to be ok.

3. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I have an sm900, and active bass + eq 1&2 = very, very, very hot signal. Whenever I used to use both eq's, I had to turn my bass down and turn my gain farther down than I thought would be needed. With my acme b2, when I use both eq's, the speakers want to jump right out of the cab and those are some power hungry capb. If you are boosting anything, I repeat, ANYTHING, turn it to flat and then try to get a good tone with the bass pod in the effects loop.

You also might want to try using only 1 eq section, because using both seems to literally double the signal on mine.

Oh yeah, this amp has a built-in limiter, try using that. The sm900 has a lot of knobs and it took my about a year to finally get my amp set. I've had it for about 6 years not and love it except for the loud fan. I might have to get a quieter on put in there.

If you post your settings, I could help you further.

4. soundsyco

soundsyco

Jul 30, 2004
    Thanks guys I think you guys answered my question I do think the bass is set to high also from reading here in the forum I realized that both eq's are set exactly the same and that may play a big part in this clipping thing. ohh and the pod's master is at half way and the effect knob on the sm-900 is at 1/2. I am goig to try to bring that down a tad. Thanks again.

5. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Using both eq's exaclty the same is pointless with the sm900. I would avoid using both eq's together. Only using one would definately solve your problem.

Once again, the limiter is your friend.