SM-900 in SKB ROTO rack.....overheat??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thirdeye, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Anyone else got this setup?

I just got an SM-900 and installed it in my roto case.

The cooling vents are very close to the side walls of the case,about 1/4" clearance.

Will this cause a heat problem?

2. I'm not sure about the clearance of the SKB Roto's...

But I keep my SWR in a 2 space SKB ATA and there plenty of room and doesn't heat up anymore then when it's in the 4 rack case.

3. Are the handles recessed into the rack on the ATA cases?,that's what makes for bugger all clearance on the rotos.

thanks mate.
  4. You are correct.
    An ATA case or a 3 sp. would help.

Sorry the roto's not working out for ya.
  5. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I have had an SM500 in a roto-rack for about two or three years with no problems whatsoever. Can't say from my end if the heat output of a 500 comes close to that of a 900.

My 500 shares the rack with

* An Alembic DS5R
    * An Alembic F-1X
    * An Alembic SF-2
    * An Alesis QuadraVerb 2

As I've said, no heat issues from all that stuff.

6. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I used to have problems with my sm-500 overheating in the rack case ( of course, I do live in Arizona) . So I drilled 4 3/8 in. holes on the vent side of the amp and installed 120 volt computer fan behind it, havent had any problems after that.
  7. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I meant to say I drilled holes in the rack case.
  8. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    FWIW, I've used both the newer (900w) model and the older (800w) version of the SM-900. The newer one seems to run cooler - possibly because of better venting to the rear, according to a post I read in this forum, though I never compared the two side-by-side.
  9. thanks.

I think I'll cut some vent holes in the rack walls next to the vents.

Had a jam today first time with the 900 in the rack and it gets alot hotter than with no rack case